Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2015, 09:36 PM

Car or Lemon

Hi folks , I got myself a new car 4 months ago , after about 5 weeks it started making a strange intermittent noise , the dealer diagnosed a clutch fault and fitted a new one under warranty...i after a few weeks the noise returned and the battery light came on so i took it back , he suggested that the belt had got wet and could find nothing wrong ...just before Xmas it done it again and i recorded it , he then replaced the belts and tensioners and a pulley ...noise appeared gone ..for about a week, then back it came with the battery light again .....the car is now out of warranty , do you think he should still get the problem sorted once and for all , I cant ask for a refund as i have gained a dent on the sill , thanks to some inconsiderate parking by my neighbour, I am now scared to drive the car in case it fails totally , plus i get some very strange looks ....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2015, 09:50 PM

Re: Car or Lemon

You have to be persistent - a new car can't go out of warranty after 4 months surely? My cars had 5 years warranty at least while on my current vehicle the drive train has 10 years warranty.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2015, 10:16 PM

oops sorry NEW to me was actually a second hand car .....
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2015, 10:24 PM

UKM it seems totally unacceptable to me that you've had all that bother with the car. The seller needs to deal with it. Not you. I hope you get it all sorted without too much hassle.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2015, 12:02 AM

You have given the dealer every chance to get the car put right which you have to do. If he fails to correct the fault I suspect you have grounds for rejecting the vehicle . The only steps you can take is get legal advice say from the AA or RAC or motoring magazine. if he refuses to take the car back.

One thing you must do is keep records of phone calls -letters or any correspondence as proof. You don't say if it was from a main dealer or some second hand dealership.

You may still be able to claim under "not fit for purpose" or "trade descriptions act" or "Sale of Goods Act"

However definately seek legal advice if you get nowhere with the dealership.

Having a dent in the car which was not there when purchased may hinder your case unless you pay for the repair to back as bought condition
It sounds like an alternator/dynamo problem to me. if the dash light keeps comming on it sounds as if there is not enough charge going back into the battery.

Easy way to check and very cheap is to get one of these
Link

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/mot...voltage-tester

Not only with it can you check the battery charge but left connected to the battery and the engine running above tick over the reading should be about 14.5 volts.

That 14.5 volts is what is the output of the alternator to the battery. If it is not giving that then the alternator has had it

I have one and it is a great bit of kit and very cheap
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2015, 10:21 AM

It would help if you told us what sort of ´noise´ this is - rattle? squeak?- squeal? (as in alternator drive-belt slipping). It must be loud if passers-by are staring. If the battery charge light is coming on, seems like an alternator or drive belt problem.
(edit) Also when does the noise happen - normal driving, changing gear, pulling away from standstill (clutch in use) low ambient temperature. Every bit of info helps....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2015, 11:42 AM

2 wheeler

I was going by quote " he then replaced the belts and tensioners and a pulley ...noise appeared gone" unquote, as the OP said the clutch had been replaced. This is why my thoughts went to the alternator especially with the mention of the light coming on.

This makes me think it is not charging properly which is why I suggested getting that little gadget to check the input charge from the alternator.

If sometime in the past life of the car someone had over tightened the pulley belt, that would have possibly worn on side of the bearing on the alternator. putting in a new belt
etc means the alternator would be running true but with one side worn causing a bit of play, hence squeak.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

27-01-2015, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
It would help if you told us what sort of ´noise´ this is - rattle? squeak?- squeal? (as in alternator drive-belt slipping). It must be loud if passers-by are staring. If the battery charge light is coming on, seems like an alternator or drive belt problem.
(edit) Also when does the noise happen - normal driving, changing gear, pulling away from standstill (clutch in use) low ambient temperature. Every bit of info helps....
the Noise started as a intermittent rattle / vibration , diagnosed as the DMF which was changed ...it did not cure it but i gave it a few weeks to see if it bedded in ,,the noise then sounded more of a rattle and squealing which was diagnosed as a pulley / belt tensioner ...all the noises where intermittent ...tonight I took the car back again ..it is now persistent and at last the dealer can hear it in its full glory from 1 ml away) ..it is now a tapping / knocking a bit like the noise from tappets on a old car... However the car is now back in the garage hopefully now he has heard the noise he will be able to fix it ...for good
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

28-01-2015, 02:43 AM

good sounds like a decent dealer. Remember do not accept it back until tried out. If I were you I would push for a further 3 warranty in writing. seeing the problems you have had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHapjYefAt4
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:33 AM

Yesterday I had to have the rear bearing/hub assembly replaced on my Mondeo, the rumble was so loud I had to turn the radio up, I was quoted £150.00 supply and fit by my usual garage, I went on Ebay and bought the item £29.00 free P&P, phoned back the garage and asked for a labour only quote, £60.00. Job done @ £89.00, saved £71.00 at the same garage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top