Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 07:37 PM

Re: Securing your home

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Mups is right - watch the legalities of electric fencing. One place I know that has it is an oil refinery. The electrified part was installed at the top of their 9ft (almost 3 metre) tall double chain link perimeter fence.

Or get a dog. Mups is right about that to. Our hairy burglar alarm is always on duty. And his danger signal bark would wake the dead.
Reminds me, I need to fit the Beware of the Dog sign on our new front door.

Be careful what the sign says, Besoeker.
Crazy though it sounds, saying "Beware of the Dog" can actually get you into trouble.

This explains it better than me:

" In the event of a dog attack, there are two possible outcomes if you've posted a “Beware of Dog” sign: ... It is considered proof that the dog owner knows the dog is aggressive, so they knowingly put any visitors or trespassers in danger."

Having said that, I have also heard of conflicting reports too, so perhaps best do some homework first.

My sign at home just says: "Please close the gate - Dog Loose."

That way I am not admitting they are a danger to the public.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 07:45 PM

A bit off topic but slightly related.
I grew up on a farm in Scotland. Occasionally, we had an area fenced off with a single strand electric fence. This used to isolate a single cattle beast when/if it needed to be isolated.

The bravado in me - I used to grab it to show that I could. One day my dog nuzzled my hand. The shock went straight through me, into the dog's nose, and through his paws into the wet grass. I had rubber boots on, he didn't. It was a terrifying jolt, the worst I ever had.

Poor dog.

One of my previous dogs had a nasty experience with electric too.

He cocked his leg up it!
Boy did he howl and just ran without thinking, straight through a flock of sheep!

I can only assume the current ran up his wee straight into his penis. The poor boy was terrified, his eyes and pupils were huge, he looked quite mad.
I was worried sick the farmer would accuse him of sheep chasing - which he would never do in his life - but he was just running blind to get away from what hurt him.

Eventually he listened to me and came to me, but I had to take him a long way round to get out the field because he wouldn't go anywhere near that fence.
So don'[t let Max wee up an electric fence!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-07-2019, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What if they nick your cameras?....

Yes, I suppose the real advantage of CCTV is that hopefully you can identify them yourself or with the help of social media, I mean the police are not interested in that sort of thing. Social media is quite good at identifying the thieves though.

When you see programmes like Crimewatch etc, thieves often just smash the cameras.
You can't win.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I have to say that a burglar alarm is only as good as your neighbours. If no-one takes a blind bit of notice of the alarm going off all it is is a loud noise.
I used to install intruder alarms including my own and six in homes around me. If one goes off (very few false alarms), one of us goes to investigate.

Any neighbourhood watches where you are LQ?

CCTV isn't a bad option and basic wireless battery operated systems are dirt cheap compared to what they were. You can see the pictures via PC, tablet and phone although recording can be a bit limited by dint of the on-board SD cards.

I agree with that Judsy.
Same with car alarms. Round here if car alarms go off, I have never once seen anyone going to see if anything's wrong.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Yes, but that won't fool a dog.

Do you honestly think Max would really attack a couple of burgulars, with him being a PAT dog?

Even our dogs can't always save the situation, especially if it is only a lone dog. I have read that where they know a dog lives they can either throw poisoned meat down for them, or spray something in their face (was it anti-freeze, not sure now).
Unfortunately our pets are not always a deterrent, thieves know what to do, as how do you think dog thieves operate?
This crime is hugely on the increase, too.

So sorry folks, if I am a bit off topic perhaps?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you honestly think Max would really attack a couple of burgulars, with him being a PAT dog?
I don't. But it is the deterrent he presents.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 10:27 PM

Very low crime rate in my area but if it was high I would arm myself with a shot gun and **** the consequences.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Very low crime rate in my area but if it was high I would arm myself with a shot gun and **** the consequences.
Do you like prison food?

Or is it all that gay sex that is appealing?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Be careful what the sign says, Besoeker.
Crazy though it sounds, saying "Beware of the Dog" can actually get you into trouble.
Maybe:
"Be aware of the dog"
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 03:42 PM

I think all you can do is make sure you have decent locks and neighbours that pay attention to anything out of the ordinary. And hope your house looks less appealing than another.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top