Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 07:56 AM

Wee Tomatoes.

I used to grow Tomatoes in the Greenhouse, but after 2 really lousy Summers in the trot and the Crop not coming to much I decided to not bother the last couple of years. I've decided to give it another go next year BUT I can't remember the name of those plants that give the tiny wee Tomatoes. Can any of you Gardeners help?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Re: Wee Tomatoes.

Hi Roxy the small tomatoes 'cherry tomatoes' come in a number of varieties. I haven't grown them myself so can't recommend a variety , they are too sweet for my taste.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 10:09 AM

...continued,
Just spoken to a neighbour who says 'Red Alert' is a good variety and they have a lovely flaviour
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanks Meg. That's not the one I used but I've written it down on next years Calendar
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Hi Roxy, I grow Tumbling Tom, which is an outdoor trailing variety ideal for hanging baskets and containers. They are sweet and are prolific croppers - you need plenty of friends to give them away to.....
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Hi Roxy-- I have tried growing toms. and find the only ones I really have success with is the patio tomatoes."Tumbling Tom" is a popular one and the one I have grown in large plastic coated wire pedestals as you can turn or move them easily for the sun but if it gets windy hanging baskets can blow about a bit . I don't know if experienced tomato growers have had much success with their plants this time as I have been told by a neighbour that it has not been a good year for tomatoes and his have been a big disappointment.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

01-08-2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks for your answers I've noted down the ones you've recomended. I've a feeling the plant was "............ Delight" but I can't remember the first word.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

01-08-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Thanks for your answers I've noted down the ones you've recomended. I've a feeling the plant was "............ Delight" but I can't remember the first word.
Hi Roxy that may well be 'Gardeners Delight' a well known variety...
Geordiegirl
Suffolk UK
Geordiegirl is female  Geordiegirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 03:54 PM

I grow both gardeners Delight and Tumbling Tom both lovely tomatoes I also grow a small orange one called Golden Sunrise lovely and sweet. A one in my opinion to avoid is either called Hundreds and Thousands or Thousands and millions they grow no bigger than half inch in diameter and are horrendous to pick
Geordiegirl
Suffolk UK
Geordiegirl is female  Geordiegirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 03:56 PM

..... meant to ad mine are brilliant this year i'm also growing a variety called Rosa a plum type they look like a bumper crop, will tell you when they are ripe what they taste like

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top