Join for free
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 11:51 AM

111 - Excellent service

I noticed yesterday around 7pm that my stomach was aching and had in fact been sore all day plus I didn't have much of an appetite so I decided to give 111 a ring.

I waited around 20 minutes in the queue then answered a series of questions to determine what my symptoms were and that I was who I said I was.

They sent a doctor out to see me at 9pm - I couldn't believe it. She examined my stomach, took blood oxygen, pressure, temperature and a urine analysis and determined that the diclofenac I had been taking for back pain wasn't playing well with my stomach so she advised stopping them. She had all kinds of electronic gizmos plus a laptop. She then prescribed some laxatives (my insides are all bunged up due to the codeine) and a big bottle of Peptac liquid which I have just got from Tesco. I did sleep well last night, knowing that the problem had been diagnosed and resolved.

But to get that kind of service just shows the NHS at its best. I can't remember ever having a doctor call at my house except when I was a child.

And all far better than a trip to A & E would have been.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 12:18 PM

Re: 111 - Excellent service

I had a good experience when i used them, cant fault their response and advice.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 12:48 PM

I'm not so keen having used them twice and been sent to a and e each time, only to find that was completely not needed, once was in an ambulance too. Complete waste of money.

I wonder if it's regional though do different regions have different services ?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I noticed yesterday around 7pm that my stomach was aching and had in fact been sore all day plus I didn't have much of an appetite so I decided to give 111 a ring.

I waited around 20 minutes in the queue then answered a series of questions to determine what my symptoms were and that I was who I said I was.

They sent a doctor out to see me at 9pm - I couldn't believe it. She examined my stomach, took blood oxygen, pressure, temperature and a urine analysis and determined that the diclofenac I had been taking for back pain wasn't playing well with my stomach so she advised stopping them. She had all kinds of electronic gizmos plus a laptop. She then prescribed some laxatives (my insides are all bunged up due to the codeine) and a big bottle of Peptac liquid which I have just got from Tesco. I did sleep well last night, knowing that the problem had been diagnosed and resolved.

But to get that kind of service just shows the NHS at its best. I can't remember ever having a doctor call at my house except when I was a child.

And all far better than a trip to A & E would have been.
Didn't You read that one of the side effects of taking diclofenac is constipation?...and didn't You know You were constipated?...words fail Me!
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 02:03 PM

I have used 111 just the once and was impressed. They sent a doctor out to me and it transpired that he had driven forty miles to make the visit, as our only local on-call doctor was dealing with an emergency.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Didn't You read that one of the side effects of taking diclofenac is constipation?...and didn't You know You were constipated?...words fail Me!
Agree
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 03:50 PM

Nothing but praise for 111 here, this time last year when my sister was so ill, fantastic service
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 05:01 PM

Of course I knew of the side-effects of codeine and diclofenac; I'm quite clued up in general. Why do words fail you? Because I phoned 111?

I needed a doctor's OK to stop taking them and decide what else to take for my back, plus there is a raft of other medications I take for various illnesses.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top