Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 10:33 PM

School Dinner Coconut & Jam Cake Traybake.

Hi everyone, had to laugh at the weekend. Was looking after 4 of my little nieces for the day and thought.... I know, we will make a traybake and they can have it for afters for their tea.

I was trying to think of all the varieties of traybakes I have made previously when I had a sudden flashback to my school dinner pudding that I used to love and always looked forward to,(my other favourite was syrup sponge squares with cornflake topping). I know this was many years ago but my mouth was watering just at the thought of that lovely cake covered in Pink Custard. LOL.

I had all the ingredients in the cupboard to make it, so went for it. Coconut & Jam Cake. Glad I did, it was so simple, and the girls loved making it, and even more, eating it. I had to stop them having a second piece or I was in trouble with four mums!!.

I served it with Raspberry Blancmange Custard. My goodness, it was yummy, it brought back so many lovely memories.

Here is the recipe I used for the traybake. Of course if you want to make a smaller one in a 2lb loaf tin, just half the ingredient and bake for about 20 minutes.

JAM & COCONUT CAKE TRAYBAKE

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: About 40 minutes
(Test with a skewer after 35 mins)

Preheat Oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4 / Fan 170.

Ingredients
8 ounces butter or margarine
8 ounces sugar
10 ounces self-raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 eggs
Jar of red jam (I used seedless raspberry)
Packet of desiccated Coconut

Grease and line a deep sided baking tray or a roasting
tin (mine is approx 20cm x 30cm) and line with greaseproof
paper.

Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. An electric whisk is best for this.
Once mixture is light and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time, beating well each time.
If the mixture starts to curdle. add a little flour with each egg.

Once the eggs have been combined fully, add the remaining flour and the baking powder.

Pour the mixture into the tin and level the surface. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until well-risen, golden and coming away from the sides of the tin.

Turn the cake out of the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Spread the jam of choice over the top of the cake and sprinkle with desiccated coconut.

Cut into individual squares - I usually make about 16 nice size squares.

Serve either warm with custard as a pudding or just enjoy with a cuppa. This traybake disappeared same day!

Enjoy it if you make it.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	coconut and jam 4.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	5104   Click image for larger version

Name:	coconut and jam 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	5105   Click image for larger version

Name:	coconut and jam 3.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	5106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coconut and Jam cake traybake.png
Views:	135
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	5107  
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 11:01 PM

Re: School Dinner Coconut & Jam Cake Traybake.

Par Eque, not only does that look grand it also reminds me of school puddings We didn't have the treacle one with cornflakes on top mind, too posh for our school.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:46 AM

They do look tasty don't they.
Shroppy you don't half post some nice recipes. What I call proper grub.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Oh I remember school dinners and the jam and coconut tray bake . Mum paid 5 shillings a week for us to have them (when she could afford it )

I don't bake anymore otherwise I'd make it , but if I did I'd eat it all by myself !
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:40 PM

Yummy. So remember that and the pink custard. School custard was lovely.
It would seem that these were statutory menus for school dinners,.... nationwide !

Thanks Shropshire girl. Just copied and pasted.. saved in document for the grandchildren and next time they want to bake.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 02:29 PM

Awww, thanks for your kind comments. I am the first to admit I am a plain cook, crikey, it took me over 40 years to learn how to cook steak properly! but have to admit I love baking and this recipe was a winner!
HWMO even had two slices but drew the line with Raspberry Blancmange Custard and just had the cake with a cuppa.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Awww, thanks for your kind comments. I am the first to admit I am a plain cook, crikey, it took me over 40 years to learn how to cook steak properly! but have to admit I love baking and this recipe was a winner!
HWMO even had two slices but drew the line with Raspberry Blancmange Custard and just had the cake with a cuppa.

Errr where's my bit???

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top