Join for free
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 01:49 PM

Alex says ..

ALEX VON SCHOENBURG: We Germans owe Britain a great debt
https://mol.im/a/6625529

What is needed is another statesman such as Adenauer — a man or woman to stand up to the bureaucratic machine of Brussels, who will take on the Barniers, the Junckers and the Tusks. We need someone who can remind us of our bounden duty and enable the UK to leave without punishing it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 05:46 PM

Re: Alex says ..

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
ALEX VON SCHOENBURG: We Germans owe Britain a great debt
https://mol.im/a/6625529

What is needed is another statesman such as Adenauer — a man or woman to stand up to the bureaucratic machine of Brussels, who will take on the Barniers, the Junckers and the Tusks. We need someone who can remind us of our bounden duty and enable the UK to leave without punishing it.
It was a great article and very refreshing to read something sensible from the other side. I have no doubt there are many on the continent that feel the same and want to remain on good terms with us, it is only the politicians that want to beat us with a stick to teach us a lesson. If only the good guys were more vocal more often...
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 09:12 PM

Yes I read it too. To use Barry's word 'refreshing' - I found it very much so. It quite cheered me up someone speaking up for us.
Unless I've missed it, there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in the TV news, which is a shame.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 09:19 PM

It was imo a BS article and a typical attempt by the EU propaganda machine to once again try to sway our mindset towards accepting to Stay in the EU rather than leave it.

This statement in particular:

"And because we should honour the result of your referendum, we must be happy to take you on your own terms. If that means a form of semi-membership with full sovereignty, so be it"

It's a contradiction in terms. If you genuinely want to honour the result of our referendum then you support and allow us to LEAVE, completely and totally, no longer under any jurisdiction of the EU or the ECJ. Notions of "semi-membership" are utter BS and clearly indicate this same intention to exercise a fudge BrExit.

We do not wish to be a member of the EU any further. We do not want 50% membership or 5% membership. We want out. It really isn't difficult.

We voted leave and that is what must now happen.

We can of course arrange an on-going future relationship with the EU and trade deals and so on, but under no circumstances whatsoever should we remain any part of the EU.

This kind of media nonsense really gets under my skin.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
It quite cheered me up someone speaking up for us..
It's nothing more than pseudo flattery to try and get our hearts and minds on their side. From the quote I highlighted above it's clear they still have no intention of letting us Leave.

May's deal does NOT result in us leaving. It leaves us attached to the EU without any say in how things are managed. It is worse than staying in the EU, backstop or no backstop.

Leavers DO NOT want May's (EU's) fake deal.

There would be uproar if our government voted it through.

Don't fall for the weasel words of Merkel imo. It's just designed to flatter you and make us accept a fake BrExit.

Leavers won't stand for it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top