Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 12:00 PM

Recycling

Up here in Scotland, they appear to take recycling seriously. In our town, every household now has to contend with 4 large colour coded wheelie bins, whether you have the space for them or not! Plus a smaller box for glass bottles and jars etc. One of the bins is for any plastic items. Bottles, trays and the like. Yet on the BBC news this morning. They said that all plastic yogurt pots and black readymeal trays are now burnt and dumped on landfill sites!
And as for the wheelie bins. A lot of them are just left permanently at the curb side! Not a pretty sight for the many tourists we get in this town!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 12:06 PM

Re: Recycling

Our recycling here is a complete farce. Misogs too. They throw the bags from the van to the curb, leave the bag if there is an item in there that shouldn't be and often get everyone's boxes mixed up. I can't talk about it too much, I get too annoyed.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 12:14 PM

It isn't too bad around here.
FridgeMagnet
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 12:15 PM

And yet, down in London, when I lived there. Absolutely everything just went into black plastic sacks. No sorting or segregating.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 12:45 PM

We've got 2 plastic crates, 1 for cardboard and paper and the other for glass. And there's a ridiculous bag thing for plastics that blows away at the slightest gust of wind, spreading plastic bottles and containers in their wake. My bag went off down the road in the wind many moons ago so now I use the glass crate for the plastics and as I don't generate much glass waste I put that out in one of my own crates every now and then.

The big bone of contention here is the green wheelie bins which are used for garden cuttings etc. The council have decided that from September they are going to charge £50 to each household for the emptying of these bins. A majority of people aren't going to pay it, they'll stick it all in the landfill bin or take it to the tip. The annoying part is the council won't be collecting the unused wheelie bins. So people are going to chuck them out of their gardens, leaving them on the pavement where God knows what will happen to them.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
And yet, down in London, when I lived there. Absolutely everything just went into black plastic sacks. No sorting or segregating.
When did you live there?
FridgeMagnet

04-08-2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
When did you live there?
I’ve lived down there for most of my life. I just moved up here 4 years ago.
A bit of a complicated story how it all happened! But here I am, presumably for the rest of my life.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
Up here in Scotland, they appear to take recycling seriously. In our town, every household now has to contend with 4 large colour coded wheelie bins, whether you have the space for them or not!
You're not alone. We have four here as well, and the smallest one by far is the non-recyclable bin which is only collected fortnightly and is (at least in our case) jam-packed full.

I'm sure others have also seen in the press today that two-thirds of plastic waste is either burn or sent to land fill. So much for our carefully sorting our recycling waste!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 01:57 AM

My little collection of Darleks...

Look at my shiny new green waste bin, my old one split so the council replaced it.

Yellow bin is for recycling while red is for rubbish. However I only put the red bin out every few weeks because I generate very little rubbish. This is a typical week's worth.

My only bugbear is that you cannot put soft plastic in the recycle bin so I collect it separately and put it in the supermarket recycle bin when I have a bag full. I understand they do collect soft plastic in the UK because my brother kept putting it in my recycle bin and I had to fish it out.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6277.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	6681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6278.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	6682  
FridgeMagnet

05-08-2018, 06:54 AM

We make the occasional tip to the local council tip. Which, inconveniently, only opens for two hours on a weekday evening and four hours on Saturday.
And our designated day of bin emptying, of all days, is on a Saturday!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top