Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 11:22 AM

Re: New Garage Doors

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
My plans too Bob when I get sorted out finacially next year. We'll probably get a new shutter door as the current one is rather rusty and 'drags' on its channels at the sides. More than a drop of oil would fix in fact.
need a new roof too as it's made of corrugated fabric material that gets damp and drips into the garage.
A side door is very useful though as I can get into the garage from the patio doors to my beer fridge in an emergency!
That's what happened to my up and over garage door Floydy. Fortunately I was working as a toolmaker at the time and had access to a Lathe, so I made a new spindle, removed the nylon rollers and replaced them with proper roller bearings. It still runs to this day, although now I've said that I might be asking for trouble....

Here is the drawing of the modified spindle I made at the time with the date......

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's what happened to my up and over garage door Floydy. Fortunately I was working as a toolmaker at the time and had access to a Lathe, so I made a new spindle, removed the nylon rollers and replaced them with proper roller bearings. It still runs to this day, although now I've said that I might be asking for trouble....

Here is the drawing of the modified spindle I made at the time with the date......

That looks like a sound replacement there Bob. Our garage is rather aged though and it does need a complete new overhaul next year when the funds will be available
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's a very nice garage door Mart, better not let Mrs Fox see it or she'll want one....You know what women are like...
I could have had the same garage door but with the capability of it being turned into and electric door at a later date if I'd wanted.

I was talking to our neighbour who'd had that done at his last house. He said it was OK but the last foot of travel as it was closing went very quickly and ended in a loud 'clang' as the door shut. Since he left for work in the mornings at 3.00 a.m, he wasn't very popular with the neighbours.

At least with the manual door. I can lower it into place gently and without much noise.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 07:17 PM

I had my electric door fitted a few years ago, I’d already had the roof fiberglassed, best thing I ever did, I also had a new metal side door fitted a couple of years ago too,
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I could have had the same garage door but with the capability of it being turned into and electric door at a later date if I'd wanted.

I was talking to our neighbour who'd had that done at his last house. He said it was OK but the last foot of travel as it was closing went very quickly and ended in a loud 'clang' as the door shut. Since he left for work in the mornings at 3.00 a.m, he wasn't very popular with the neighbours.

At least with the manual door. I can lower it into place gently and without much noise.
Absolutely Mart, best to keep the neighbours onside, you never know when you are going to need a cup of milk or couple of slices of bread.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I had my electric door fitted a few years ago, I’d already had the roof fiberglassed, best thing I ever did, I also had a new metal side door fitted a couple of years ago too,
Yes Primus, I fancied having a fibreglass roof on my garage when the previous felted roof started leaking, but Mrs Foxes friends husband was a roofer so he did me a good deal on a felt roof.....Well, if it lasts 25 years I'll be 93 and I don't think a garage roof will be high on my list of priorities...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top