Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:51 AM

Re: Splitting The Bill In A Restaurant....

I think we are lucky with our friends , we all drink so there's no chance of someone drinking just water and a meal out is time to let the hair down and have a blow out so there's no one left feeling hard done by

We have family who are teetotal, two sister in laws and their families are teetotallers and only order water or squash with their meals. In that situation neither me nor DH take the mick and we switch to soft drinks ourselves. Not because we don't want them feeling like they are paying for us, but because we respect that they are non drinkers

Sometimes this paying only for yourselves goes too far IMO. I worked behind the bar of a popular resturaunt and bar and one time, I kid you not, a wedding party of 12, all came and paid their bills separately. Now whilst I understand and respect that the wedding was a budget affair with the bride and groom not able to afford to pay for everyone, it would have been nicer if they had just done the split and perhaps paid their own bar bills as they ordered extra drinks
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:54 AM

Hi

It depends who you are out with, some really take the mickey.

I refuse to go with one couple, she always orders a bottle of expensive champagne and he always has 3 large brandies.

I am not contributing towards that lot.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 12:12 PM

Never quite understood this splitting the bill thingy. In the past I was caught once or twice and ended up paying out a hefty chunk of money for things I never had.

At the time I was more surprised that so called friends were ignoring the obvious. Fairs fair did not seem to come into it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 12:20 PM

Being a bloke i always pay.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Being a bloke i always pay.
And quite rightly so
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

28-07-2018, 12:30 PM

We are always happy just to split the bill. Just happy to be out eating and drinking with friends, not interested in going down the route of who ordered pricier items.

In fact we used to have some friends who would work out to the last penny what we should all pay, I actually found it all rather embarrassing and rude, hence we don't see them socially any more.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Last time I did that was 30 odd years ago, learnt my lesson, last time I went for a meal with the Bill Bunter appreciation society.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 12:38 PM

If you have decent, honest friends then they will pay for what they order and not try to rip somebody off whose meal isn't as expensive.
Work out beforehand your meal and put in what it costs accordingly, allowing a couple of extra pounds for a tip each. Easily done.
Ragdoll
Surrey,UK
Ragdoll is female  Ragdoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 12:40 PM

I'm all for splitting the bill regardless of who had what or didn't have, but I had to draw the line with a married couple and me being a singleton. We would get a Taxi to where ever we had decided to go, in the Taxi the Husband would say you pay there and I'll pay homeward, then when the dining/drinking bill arrived the Husband would say, right 50/50 then. Well I put up with it for a few times, but just had to remind him when we were next going out, that there are three of us and not two? funny, but that was the last time we ate out together!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
When out in a group ee always divide the bill by the number present. As we mainly enjoy the same kind of food it evens out over time - some have puddings, some have coffee, some don't always. I would hate to be with someone who quibbled - it would be embarrassing and spoil the evening

When it is just two of us - usually lunchtimes - we take it in turns to pay. Works out OK.
I don't quibble with anyone? I don't think any need as It's easy enough to pay your own bill these days. If i.m skint and couldn't afford to put in enough it would be very embarrassing. None of my friends have a problem with it, I never drink as I am usually the driver.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top