Join for free
Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 10:20 AM

Re: Holiday Hunger!

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
That is a complete load of old pony along with the "this is hurting you more than me".
Would you not agree Purwell that there are those who take advantage of the system, and while somebody else takes on their responsibility they will fail to do so....I don't believe that throwing money at the problem will solve it. It hasn't worked so far, either here or in Africa has it. There will always be poverty and hunger.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Mind your own business means mind your own business.

Tough I have made it my business.
If you want to be sanctimonious on an open forum expect people to comment .
So it’s ok to make pronunciations on how nasty other people are but not when the boots on the other foot.
To quote corporal Jones
“ they don’t like it up ‘em”
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by muddy ->
tough i have made it my business.
If you want to be sanctimonious on an open forum i will comment .
So it’s ok to make pronunciations on how nasty other people are but not when the boots on the other foot.
To quote corporal jones
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I find that hard to believe Tara that people are too poor to feed their kids. I think it is more that they have never learned to cook properly and have been totally dependent on processed foods which we all know are exhorbitant prices compared to freshly made meals.

There are so many nutritional meals parents can make for their children with cheap ingredients. Home-made soups, Jacket potatoes, pasta dishes, vegetable dishes, several mince dishes. All followed with fresh fruit for a dessert. They can even go into the supermarkets at the end of the day and get ingredients even cheaper. I could get all that very cheap if I shopped around for the best bargains. Surely they must have an open market there one day a week? There really is no excuse for a single child to go hungry. Even a box of Porridge and a pint of milk doesn't cost much for breakfast, followed by a nutritional boiled egg with toast.

When times were a bit hard for mum, she would pop to the butcher and buy a load of bacon bones for pennies, boil them up with a cabbage and potatoes in their jackets and we kids would love to sit down and rip all that lovely lean meat that had been left on the bones by the butcher. a knob of Kerrygold on the potatoes and cabbage to melt nicely as we gnawed at the bones and we loved it.
We always managed to have some tinned peaches or a made jelly with evaporated milk for dessert too.

That's why I find it hard to fathom how anyone can ever say they are too poor??

I sometimes wonder if many are claiming they are too poor to feed the children because perhaps their own luxuries must be bought first. Cigarettes? Beer? who knows?

Some people are genuinely struggling financially, but others are probably spending money on booze, cigarettes and maybe even drugs. Whatever is the case their children must not suffer.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-08-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Some people are genuinely struggling financially, but others are probably spending money on booze, cigarettes and maybe even drugs. Whatever is the case their children must not suffer.
That is why I recommended an accountant or a financial advisor like Martin Lewis. Some people just don't have a clue how to organise their finances properly. If they are serious about making ends meet and feeding their families, that would be a good start. Citizens Advice Bureau would help them for free. These things should be taught in school in my opinion, far more important than Algebra....
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Re my question about how much a single parent would have cash in hand each week I did look on Google but couldn't actually find an answer .

I did notice there is a capping amount and they were anything from £300 to £450 which I think included rent to be paid and the higher was London allowances but a bit muddled .

I'm still interested if anyone can find out

Thankyou
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-08-2019, 05:17 PM

I do believe the government stopped paying the rent for the tenants who are on benefits. They give them the cash now and expect them to pay it themselves.....Bad move if you ask me.... It probably saves a lot of admin.....But creates a whole lot more.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Tough I have made it my business.
If you want to be sanctimonious on an open forum expect people to comment .
To quote corporal Jones
Please could you repeat this in words of one syllable.
You have the cheek to call me sanctimonious!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
One of the chaps working along side my husband has to use a food bank and during school holidays his children get food packages from the local church. He works a 48 hour week and if he could get an extra job would but it's a tightrope on his own between working more a hours and the cost of more child care while he works. If you are earning NMW and the child care provider charge is £10 an hour you are worse off doing the extra hours.

Anyway I think 48 hours physically demanding job is enough if he did more when would he see his children ?
Julie, if this man is earning the minimum wage for 48 hours per week he will be earning around £375 per week. It is sad that he has lost his wife, but if he cannot feed his children through the school holidays, maybe they would be better going into temporary care. I know that isn't ideal, but if they were my children my first priority would be to make sure they had food & care.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Julie, if this man is earning the minimum wage for 48 hours per week he will be earning around £375 per week. It is sad that he has lost his wife, but if he cannot feed his children through the school holidays, maybe they would be better going into temporary care. I know that isn't ideal, but if they were my children my first priority would be to make sure they had food & care.
I agree .

Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top