Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2010, 01:16 PM

Proposed later retiral age

Talk of raising the retiral age to 70 in a few years time has dismayed me . . . the people suggesting this have never done a hard days graft in their lives . . . . in my lifetime I've worked in some really heavy jobs . . . eg; machine moulding in an iron foundry, working on heavy timber ships in the docks lifting heavy wooden battens by hand, civil engineering using jack-hammers, scaffolding lifting heavy steel tubes . . . carrying heavy machine parts in the last job I did.

Today a report says the life expectancy gap between those from poorer backgrounds and those well off is growing larger . . IMO this has nothing to do with diet or lifestyles . . it's to do with the type of heavy work poorer types do as opposed to the well-off pen pushers in admin jobs . . . an elderly man aged 78 who's worked for Asda all his life said last week he hopes to keep working into his eighties . . . if he had really done some hard graft he'd think twice about working to that age . . . I know hundreds of men my age and even younger who've done heavy jobs all their lives and been glad to call it a day at 65 . . . as usual it's the lazy sods who dream up these stupid ideas . . they don't live in the real hard working world that manual workers do.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2010, 02:51 PM

Re: Proposed later retiral age

It`s all a cunning plan. It`s not retirement age being raised a such it`s the age one gets a state pension.

As regards hard work-successive governments have done their best to prevent that,shipbuilding gone,steelwork gone,mining gone,brickyards gone
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Nero you wont HAVE to work until retirement age you can retire earlier, you just wont get your pension until later.
If someone works for 50yrs of their life and can not afford to retire early then they have wasted a lot of money and have not thought about tomorrow.
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2010, 06:00 PM

And they made sure you can't draw a personal pension until your 55 now when you could draw it at 50 (this has really affected us big time) I suspect that they may scrap the 55 threshold eventually and link it to the state pension when we are aged 65 to 70 - depending on what age they want us to retire!!
Personally I don't think there will be the jobs for people who are older to continue to work for that long, there are not enough jobs now, and I think the more physical jobs will be impossible to carry on into advanced age, with respect, you can't expect a man of 70 to be lifting and carrying heavy objects alongside someone of 25! nor should it be expected!!

June x
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2010, 08:59 PM

After being retired a few months,I am now just about beginning to be pleased that I am out of the rat-race (husband as well). I worked until I was 63 (as well as bringing up two children) and at the end I was getting so tired and fed up with it all. I wasn't in a job which required a lot of physical work, but it did require a lot of concentration, organising and negotiating skills. I did get very tired at the end of a week - mostly due to stress and aggro. Unfortunately it looks as if our children will be the ones who have to work a lot longer to get a Government pension (if there still is one). I hope they will have the resilience and stamina to keep up with it.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2010, 09:31 PM

I have worked since I was fifteen my parents were not well off enough for me to do an apprenticeship as I was the eldest I had to get a job and a factory job was double the money of an office job then I had to hand over my entire wage packet and was given 1/6d a day back I had my clothes bought me and this was all I had out of £7/7shillings a week I got married at 17 worked full time until 10 years ago when hubby had to come out of work with back problems they found out when he was 47 he had spina bifida and he also has other back problems which cause him constant pain and reduced funcionality in his legs I paid full stamp all those years went back to work full time after my daughter was born she was 6 weeks old when I returned I am fed up with having the goal posts moved as to when I can retire I think that there will be very few jobs for older people unless they are lucky enough to be able to look after the jobs they have been in for years as the New goverment want to cut back on Incapacity which was a
Margeret Thatcher plan to remove people off the dole when the dole numbers reached record levels I am really looking forward to my retirement (just hope I can live long enough to enjoy it)
Circumstances can sometimes dictate that you can't save for retirement (also when you are younger it seems so far away it is something you can think of another day) luckily I am quite well prepared for retirement though won't be able to retire fully till my retirement in 2016 but I am gradually winding down to that date I now work only 4 days 23 hours in total Roll on is what I say...
Sue
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2010, 09:39 AM

I barely made it to retirement Nero. My arthritis is crippling me this past year. I define a good day as one where I wake up or one where nothing hurts. Damn few of those lately. I'm tired of limping my way through a workday.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2010, 11:04 AM

According to the reports last week a man will live on average to 74 . . . if the state pension will not be paid out until you're 70 that only gives an average person the pleasure of a mere 4 years of retiral before they die . . . big bloody deal . . . I retired at 55 and have had a wonderful 13 years of retirement . . . after a lifetime of working I think us oldies deserve a decent bit of quality time not just 4 bloody years.

Of course this deferral of the state pension with the prospects of claimants only collecting it for 4 years could be yet another crafty Tory plan to cut budget costs . . . I would put nothing past those devious gits . . . hearing the reports over the level of cuts last weekend were all gonna get screwed up the ass.

Don't blame me . . . I voted SNP.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2010, 08:25 AM

I have always said that we should retire at 35 until we are 50 then return to work and work until we pop our clogs.
At least we should be able to enjoy our retirement that way.
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2010, 02:38 PM

I can't understand the logic in it. If you keep the elderly working longer so you don't have to pay state pension, then they are taking jobs that the young could have.
With jobs getting fewer and fewer it will then mean a higher amount of unemployed youngsters who have to be paid unemployment benefit.
Unless they can magic jobs with high enough pay for everyone you are just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top