Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin
The Tourist is male  The Tourist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2010, 03:34 PM

Re: Military "draw down" in Iraq. Now what?

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
INo friends or alliances are made by insults like mental defectives, and playing the “bully boy” on the World stage.
I've heard this complaint several times, and there's a simple answer.

Our Framers warned the country to avoid foreign entanglements, and I agree. We have problems here, like in our "infra-structure," meaning roads and bridges. I do not see the wisdom of building a foreign goat paddock in the middle-east while our own citizens drive around potholes.

Here's the simple solution. Self-determination.

Refuse to take American money in the forms of military aid, joint investment and fighting your own wars. Stop criticizing the 'American cowboy style' and then stop cashing the checks.

Why are there 3,000 American graves due to Omaha Beach. Shouldn't that be 3,000 French graves? Yikes, it's their country, not mine.

If there's no entanglements, there's no debate. Good fences make good neighbors.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Yup - keep taking the oil, guys.
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin
The Tourist is male  The Tourist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Yup - keep taking the oil, guys.
We don't take it, we buy it.

The word "take" should properly be used in discussing using American assistance when you know you'll never pay it back.

I saw no French medical helicopters during Katrina. I believe they have a debt and helicopters.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Tourist ->

Why are there 3,000 American graves due to Omaha Beach. Shouldn't that be 3,000 French graves? Yikes, it's their country, not mine.

There where 5 landing beaches on D Day, they died on another beach.

Or put it another way how many Yanks died at the landings at Dieppe(sp), a hell of a lot of French Canadians and British troops did, they died to glean information on how launch an invasion which helped to cut down the deaths for all the allied troops on D Day.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2010, 05:05 PM

We don't take it, we buy it.

The word "take" should properly be used in discussing using American assistance when you know you'll never pay it back.

I saw no French medical helicopters during Katrina. I believe they have a debt and helicopters.
THe whole world offered assistance on Katrina including the French Bush refused all help from foreign countries at the time and let Americans die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ricane_Katrina
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Why are there 3000 American graves to to Omaha Beach?

Could it be that America was at war as were the Brits with an evil that had to be stopped?

If you want to see French graves take a trip here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane#Massacre

That`s what the blood and deaths were fighting against not to mention the concentration camps and the Burma Railway
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2010, 05:36 PM

I thought John Wayne had passed on....
I am surprised to find that what I had regarded as a caricature of Americans is apparently true - isolationist, complacent and with no understanding of the outside world and their place in it.
Tourist , you need to get out more. Outside your own frontiers I mean.
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin

22-08-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
There where 5 landing beaches on D Day, they died on another beach.
I've heard that, too.

WWII was a two-front war for us. Many of us, and I'm one of them, believe that the war would have been shorter for everyone had the USA fought the Pacific war, and Europe would have fought the Germans.

There shouldn't be any USA soldiers buried in France. Yikes, they had +4 years to accomplish freeing their own country.

But that's only one example. Our pilots later died feeding the Germans during the 1947 Berlin Airlift. Who else but the USA feeds its former enemies, or rebuilds their countries?

The three biggest allies I see are England, Japan and Germany. All former enemies.

The baby boomers are now retiring and many social programs are suffering. Most of our food banks are empty and barely functioning.

But imagine a world where the USA just decided it was more important to feed and fund our own people and secure our own borders before one more dollar of aid was spent abroad?

We have lots of allies--or so I'm told. Why don't you guys secure the world, I am told you think we're doing a crappy job. Show us how it's done, but use your own money.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

23-08-2010, 07:15 AM

I've heard that, too.

But that's only one example. Our pilots later died feeding the Germans during the 1947 Berlin Airlift. Who else but the USA feeds its former enemies, or rebuilds their countries?

American death toll........31

British death toll.............39
claireandaisy
Essex

23-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Oh ffs. Any death diminishes us. It`s not a ruddy football match.
Only a man could turn a tragic war into a pi**ing contest.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top