Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Re: Military "draw down" in Iraq. Now what?

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Oh ffs. Any death diminishes us. It`s not a ruddy football match.
Only a man could turn a tragic war into a pi**ing contest.

Was that an attack on me?????????
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin
The Tourist is male  The Tourist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I think it was for me, but who cares.

Liberals like to reframe debates or parse your own words instead of offering a well thought out rebuttal.

Now granted, there are emotional aspects to defending a position. For example the organization of our MADD (mothers against drunk drivers) was initated by a mother whose daughter was killed by a drunk.

I'm speaking more globally, here. Make no mistake, I'm tired of American coffins coming home while the civilized world sleeps safe. I'm also tired the criticsm that in any crisis our early intervention makes us a bully, but if we come late we don't care.

My question is simply that if intervention is needed at all, why doesn't someone else pick up the slack?

During some dreadful tornadoes a few years back our gulf area was severely damaged. In parts of New Orleans, there are entire neighborhoods that are still unliveable and abandoned.

No French medical aid, no British carrpenters, no German food and water. Why not? Our people suffer just like yours.

Had Paris been hit, and no American welfare was received, we'd be excoriated by the foreign press. I think we ought to let some natural disaster run its course from the sidelines just once as a demonstration on how we are good allies even when vilified.

For example, we dumped so many emergency resources into Haiti they couldn't even move them off the dock. However, we were also taken to task that "not everything promised arrived."

I think we should only involve ourselves to the same level as other countries. You send two soldiers and box of bandages, then we should only send that amount, as well.
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin
The Tourist is male  The Tourist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Here's an example of people's criticism when none is merited.

In my lifetime I have spent somewhere around 200,000 USD on motorcycles. Off the top of my head I have also spent 75,000 USD on firearms and reloading equipment.

There's always some clown in the crowd that sneers I spent 1/4 million dollars on "toys." It's usually from a guy who hasn't done anything.

My wife and I give to numerous charities.

Here's a thought, if babies who suffer are a problem, try not pushing so many out.

Of course, then the onus would not only be on them, but they'd have nothing to complain about.

There was a snippet of video taken during our crisis in New Orleans. People were looting stores. A toothless derelict smoking a cigarette, and obviously drunk on stolen liquor stuck his face into the camera and claimed that women had no diapers for babies.

Funny, he had never cared much before...
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Tourist ->

No French medical aid, no British carrpenters, no German food and water. Why not? Our people suffer just like yours.

I would respectfully draw your attention to post 25 and the link given.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
no.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2010, 06:25 PM

Just a random thought. Americans thought the French were a bit rubbish after

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dien_Bien_Phu

It turned into a bit of a scrap didn`t it.?

And for brave soldiers who fought there I salute you,you did not understand the ways of politicians.

And for those who wanted to nuke the hell out of them-shoot, that`s one hell of a mushroom. Shame the commies have it
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

23-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
Just a random thought. Americans thought the French were a bit rubbish

Some Americans have Short memories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolutionary_War
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin

24-08-2010, 02:28 PM

You have to also remember where you folks reside and where I live.

For example, many times when I ride on the slab, a guy in a European car will come up behind me and flick his headlights.

It might mean something in your country, it means nothing here. Most folks go ten to fifteen miles over the posted speed limit anyway, and in this country all three lanes have the same rules, speed limits and protocols.

We do have 'diamond lanes' in some states, but not in mine.

Often I hear the excuse that many behaviors and trains of thought are 'done in Europe' when people attempt to cut corners.

As for the highway example, I don't drive a motorcycle in what we call "wolf packs." That is, many times a dozen cars will bunch up. Then there is a big open area of no traffic, and a mile or two back is another wolf pack. I ride in the open spot in between.

The guy with the Euro-car either thinks he owns the road, or is just too flat out lazy to pick his own spot on the highway. If he bought the car to utilize superior handling, let him use that rack-and pinion steering to steer into his own area.

If he seeks to enjoy the pleasures of the Autobahn, we have planes leaving the country on a regular basis.

If you enjoy America and what it has to offer, then re-align your thinking to "the American Way." And here, you drive by our rules of the road.

Expanding that thought, you obey our customs and our Constitution. Right now a Muslim woman wants the entire Disney theme park organization to bow to her request to wear a head-scarf. Our woman have to bend to their insipid rules when traveling in their country. They should do the same here.

And it's a good rule of thumb for everyone. When you meet an American, expect to interface with his socialization.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top