Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2010, 08:38 AM

Re: Debate

Aerolor,
Sorry it is long but you did ask.

Why did I become disillusioned with unions?

I always believed that, as an official of the union, it was my job to see the workforce contented and the company florish so that my members had a life time of employment before them.

As an Official of the union I used to go to conferences and meetings
with other union officials, 90% of them had hidden agendas as to how
they could gain more influence over company bosses and control of the workforce so that they could climb the social ladder. They tried to coerce me into their sceme which I would have nothing to do with.

After my 5th TUC conference and the same routine meetings I decided to leave the union and start my own business.

My idea was to employ people happily without union intervention and make
my company into a flourishing one giving me a comfortable living.

In the first two weeks of opening I had 6 unions visit me all who were turned away.
After eight weeks I had two union reps, one who had always been a Marcist, turn up and in a polite way told me that the workforce were entitled by law to be represented
and that they wanted to talk with them. I agreed on the condition that I was there and could speak to the workforce after they had finished.

They finished their brainwashing speech and asked me to say a few words to the workforce explaining why I did not want a union in the place.

I said that I only had two questions to ask and they were directed at the
union officials.

Question 1. What would they do if I still refused to have unions representation?

Answer, (typical union response) ' We would talk to all your customers about how you wont allow your people to have representation so that they can have comfortable and Safe working conditions'

This is a ploy by unions ( I was taught it as an official ) to blackball companies and create disgruntlement in communities to the extent whereby people turn onto each other increasing
the unions power.

Question 2. Where will you find 10 jobs for this workforce to walk into?

Answer, Why would we need to?
Response, Because I would shut the firm down.
Reponse, you cant do that, you are committed to contracts,
Response, watch me.

I then addressed the workfoce and asked them if they wanted union representation?
A resounding NO lead to the unions officials leaving the building.
Minor problems came but in short,No more trouble.

We had a great 15years before I retired and the workforce took over the company.

I agree with you that there is exploitation and that some people who have control do so by power and not coercion. There always will be those little Hitlers who need to control others, human frailties I am afraid to say.

The problems arising when companies outgrow themselves is not with the top bosses but with junior management, all who are trying to make a name and climb the ladder of success.
Most only tend to see the route to take them to the top rungs and thereby forget about listening
to what the indians are asking for.

Long ago when I first went into junior management a wise old senior managment boss once told me that
two heads are better than one even if they are sheeps heads. He asked me why that was to which I was
lost for words, so he kindly pointed out that with two heads there are four ears which take in more
than two ears.
Morale:- Listen to what is happening.

If only there was a choice between two life would be a lot simpler.

Multi choice is for products not people.
choosing between two people allows a person to decide which policy is the best for them.
Choosing between several people who is best leads to mind games and
disillusionment. Hence fewer people vote.

Money does make the world go around.
When I decided to retire it was because after discussions my wife and we decided that we had everything we needed so money was not a premium.
In the seven years of my retirement I have spent more than I did in the last tweny years of my working life.
Retirement brings new ways of living and new needs which is all what life is about.
You live to your needs and spend accordingly.
Unfortunately a lot of people live to their wants, not needs thereby getting into finacial difficulties just like our Government did, for which the next
two generations will be paying for.

Once again sorry the reply is long.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2010, 03:12 PM

Re: Debate

Thanks for your in depth reply Antibrown. I can see your point regarding many of the problems associated with union involvement. The thing about retirement as well is that I believe it brings with it a subtle change of perspective when you have jumped off the treadmill. If you have enough to live on, other things become so much more important and relevant. Best wishes.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top