Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2010, 06:24 PM

Re: Ed Miliband has won

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Wasn't Benjamin Dizraeli Prime Minister when Victoria was on the throne ? He was a Jew
Are you saying that we have regressed since Victorian times ?

And he always denied it
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
David was too much like Blair - so glad Ed got in

I suppose I am as well, do not like the fact that it was unions votes that achived it.

But that thakes nothing away from the fact that he might make a great leader time will tell.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
And he always denied it
Re: Benjamin Disraeli. I don't think Disraeli always denied he was Jewish. His father was Isaac D'Israeli and Benjamin was baptised into the Anglican Church as a child. He did say that Christianity was "completed Judaism" which went down rather badly.

The following is a quote from what he said in defense of his being a Jew. This he once said in response to an anti-Semitic comment in the British parliament,

"Yes, I am a Jew, and when the ancestors of the Right Honourable Gentleman were brutal savages in an unknown island, mine were priests in the Temple of Solomon."

I also understand that on his deathbed he re-affirmed his Judaism.

There have been quite a few modern senior members of parliament who are Jewish and may well have become prime minister (had the timing been right).

Three that spring to mind are :-

Michael Howard (named Mecht)
Nigel Lawson (Chancellor of the Exchequer)
Lord Kalms (former Tory Treasurer).

I wonder if you are thinking about the Arab/Israeli conflict Galty and I would think having a Jewish Prime Minster would not make any difference to that situation. Look at the number of politicians in America who are Jewish - that's where the real influence lies.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

28-09-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->

I wonder if you are thinking about the Arab/Israeli conflict Galty and I would think having a Jewish Prime Minster would not make any difference to that situation. Look at the number of politicians in America who are Jewish - that's where the real influence lies.

No I am not, that why I put in my post that there was no racial point.

I just wonder if a Jew can be elected in this country.

This point was raised when Howard was elected the Con Leader.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
No I am not, that why I put in my post that there was no racial point.

I just wonder if a Jew can be elected in this country.

This point was raised when Howard was elected the Con Leader.
I see Galty - in that case then I think a Jew could be elected in this country - but it may not be Miliband. Regards
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2010, 08:18 PM

He seems to be saying all the right things so far:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11426411

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

28-09-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
He seems to be saying all the right things so far:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11426411

I watched a bit of his speech today and he did speak well Azz, but I wonder if it could be quite some time before the labour party are in government again and Miliband may fall by the wayside before then.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2010, 08:32 PM

Yeah, think it will all depend on how the coalition does. I voted Lib dems last time, think I'd vote Labour this time - despite their faults, they did a hell of a lot of good things imo, especially progressive things.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2010, 09:45 AM

Call me cynical (It's OK 'cos I am) but to be honest, I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference which besuited, Oxbridge educated, middle-class pseudo intellectual got the job. None of them have any real experience of life. None of them have ever done a proper job and none of them have even a glimmer of understanding of what it is like to be an ordinary person trying to make ends meet. Blair, Cameron, Milliband(s), Cleggs - all identikit politicians driven by ambition for power, not concern for their electorate. The differences between the parties are almost non-existent and none of them stand for the ordinary people of the UK.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

30-09-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Call me cynical (It's OK 'cos I am) but to be honest, I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference which besuited, Oxbridge educated, middle-class pseudo intellectual got the job. None of them have any real experience of life. None of them have ever done a proper job and none of them have even a glimmer of understanding of what it is like to be an ordinary person trying to make ends meet. Blair, Cameron, Milliband(s), Cleggs - all identikit politicians driven by ambition for power, not concern for their electorate. The differences between the parties are almost non-existent and none of them stand for the ordinary people of the UK.
Question is do we want any ORDINARY person who did an ordinary job then was elected by his/her party to lead us?

If any Party did this does it make HIM/HER more or less electable, I think less.... would Scargill have been electable?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top