Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 06:58 PM

Re: Shepherds Pie or Cottage Pie

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I add grated cheese to the mash as well.

Isn't shepherds pie supposed to be lamb, and cottage pie - beef?
Yes Mups I believe so.
Some great ideas in this thread, particularly like the idea of adding mustard and grated cheese to the mash...and a layer of tomatoes between the meat and mash, will definitely try that!

Anyone mentioned a good glug of Worcester sauce? A firm favourite of mine.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 07:05 PM

Mine's lamb or beef but always done the day before to get rid of excess fat, ugh, then buttery mash and browned in the oven. No cheese, can't stand the stuff !
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 02:11 PM

Yum, just reading these posts make me want to make a Cottage Pie.
I always make the mash with potato and leek or as an alternative potato,parsnip and shredded cooked cabbage or simply potato and chopped onion.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 02:25 PM

We had a Cottage Pie last night, i cooked the minced beef with onions and peas and added lots of pepper. On the top i put mashed potatoes, grated cheese and sliced tomatoes, placed it in the oven till brown and crisp on top, then i served it with turnip and carrot mash and lashings of dark brown thick gravy..... Yummy!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top