Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 08:33 PM

Re: New online security checks exclude people without mobile phones or decent signal

I made a purchase a couple of days ago, which was from people I have not dealt with before.

The payment wouldn't go through until I had verified it was me buying.
I then got a text from my bank giving me a verification code, which I had to type in on my order for the payment to go through.

My phone wasn't on at the time, so I had to turn it on quickly. The code was waiting for me.
I typed the code into the company I was buying from and that was the end of it.
I got a message saying payment had been accepted.

I don't consider that much hassle, and I am glad my bank checked the authenticity before it released the funds.

Aerolor, if you use your lappy to verify payments, what happens if you use your card when you are out somewhere? Would you have to take your lap top with you incase the payment is queried?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 08:48 PM

Re: New online security checks exclude people without mobile phones or decent signal

I was thinking this is just for on-line purchases, Mups. Didn't realise it was for card payments in shops. I would have thought my PIN number was enough with a card in shops. I never use my phone to pay for anything.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 06:15 PM

Within weeks, new anti-fraud rules mean that all shoppers will need a security code to buy online!!
But guess what - Banks and Retailers aren't ready.

This, from Amelia Murray in Money Mail.

Millions of online shoppers could face chaos after a security shake-up that may bar customers without mobile phones.

Critics say banks have not done enough to prepare shoppers for the major changes, which are due to take place within weeks.

The new system, aimed at preventing fraud, requires customers to use an access code - typically sent to a mobile phone - before making purchases online. They must enter this number at the check-out to confirm payment.

But Money Mail has discovered a string of issues that could leave shoppers locked out.

# THOUSANDS of Santander customers without mobiles cannot complete purchases.

# THE checks could also exclude those who do not get a mobile signal at home.

# UP TO a third of purchases could fail.

# SOME banks have still not yet warned their customers about the changes.

# MAJOR banks are refusing to let customers 'whitelist' favourite retailers, which means they will always have to input the code.

Almost one in five payments to retailers are online, but under new EUROPEAN LEGISLATION, shoppers must soon verify internet purchases with a special code. This could be sent to your mobile phone or email address, generated on a card reader or via a banking app, or as an automated message to a landline.

The idea is to make it harder for fraudsters to go on a spree with credit or debit cards.

Many of us are already used to being sent passcodes by our bank when making an online payment as a way of proving we are are the person carrying out the transaction.

And you may already have been asked to type in a code when shopping online if you were spending a large sum of money or using a retailer you have not shopped with before.

However, just 1 pc of online payments currently require a code, typically sent by text, according to Mastercard.
When the new European regulations are introduced in September, this will increase to 25 pc.

Despite firms having two years to prepare for the so-called Secure Customers Authentication, experts are predicting total disorder. Customers with no mobile phone or poor signal may not receive the code.
Emails could also take a while to reach your inbox, by which point your transaction will have timed out, requiring you to start again.

Those opting to get the code from a card reader will also have to keep the device to hand. In the worst-case scenario, shoppers will not be able to buy from certain websites. In fact, the British Retail Consortium estimates 25 pc to 30 pc of online purchases may fail when the measures are rolled out.

Much of the problem is down to banks refusing to give customers a choice of how to receive the codes.
Santander, with 15million active customers, says it will only send the code by text to a mobile or via the smartphone app. Those without a mobile will no longer be able to use their card online. You may also struggle if you have poor signal. Santander has yet to tell customers.

HSBC customers will be sent a code via text to a mobile. if unable to receive it, they can get it sent by email - but only if HSBC has their address. Lloyds will text the code to a mobile or send a message to a landline. Royal Bank of Scotland customers can also opt for an email. Nationwide will offer mobile and email options, as well as notifications sent to banking apps and the use of a card reader.

Some providers, such as Metro Bank, Monzo and Starling Bank, have not started telling account holders about the changes.

Some transactions will be exempt. For example, you will be able to make up to five payments under £27 or once you have spent £137, before being asked to verify your identity.

UNQUOTE

Well, there you go! First time I've heard about it, and it starts in 8 weeks time in September. Another EU regulation that is going to cause utter chaos.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 06:18 PM

SG I heard about these changes on the radio , I have enough passwords and names to get wrong already without any more .

Shopping online takes long enough as it is and I fear this is one customer some seller sites will be losing.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 06:24 PM

I am with Santander and didn't know anything about this at all so thanks for the information.
That might be difficult, I get poor mobile reception at home and often have to walk up the road!

PS – I doubt you realise but the wording in your post seems to be repeated again, hiccups?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 06:28 PM

This topic has already been raised

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=62021

New online security checks exclude people without mobile phones or decent signal
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
SG I heard about these changes on the radio , I have enough passwords and names to get wrong already without any more .

Shopping online takes long enough as it is and I fear this is one customer some seller sites will be losing.
Agree Meg. I don't do online banking because I just don't trust it. So I'm afraid unless it is a straightforward sending of a code number to my mobile that I can enter without any fuss, the retailer will lose the sale, because under no circumstances will I divulge my mobile number, or bank details to anyone.

Guess the only happy bunnies will be the shops in the high street.

As for passwords? I was getting so confused with so many passwords I decided to use a secure Password Vault. It is wonderful! I use LastPass and it is so easy to use.
I just log in with one password to Lastpass, then minimise it once logged in. I never have to worry ever again about remembering log ins to any website (including OFF). as it is there waiting for you just to press the button as it has already entered your username/email and password.
Great, especially for duffers like me! Wished I had used it long ago. Would be lost without it now.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

31-07-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I am with Santander and didn't know anything about this at all so thanks for the information.
That might be difficult, I get poor mobile reception at home and often have to walk up the road!

PS – I doubt you realise but the wording in your post seems to be repeated again, hiccups?
I did thanks Baz. I was definitely seeing double! too heavy with the submit button I think. Have rectified it though, thanks.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

31-07-2019, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I was thinking this is just for on-line purchases, Mups. Didn't realise it was for card payments in shops. I would have thought my PIN number was enough with a card in shops. I never use my phone to pay for anything.
Good grief, neither did I ! The worst thing is that the banks are not going to allow us to whitelist our regular trusted sites so every bloomin time we will have to go through the palaver of waiting for a code number to come though. My mobile signal at home is rubbish, very iffy, Let's hope the internet doesn't go down anytime soon or there will be a lot of very unhappy bank customers as well as retailers.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
It might not be as bad as I thought. Just had a message when I opened my on-line banking. It told me of the changes and how they would work. A mobile is probably not necessary. The bank asked me which device I wanted to use for identification purposes. I confirmed that I wanted the device I was on (which is my laptop) and it said they had registered it as the device I wanted to use for ID confirmation. That might be all there is to it then - fingers crossed.
Yes I believe you’re correct ,I’m with Lloyd’s and that’s exactly what I was asked and confirmed I wanted my PC desktop as my chosen device .
I have no problem giving my bank my mobile number for security purposes .

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top