Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 08:46 PM

Re: Doing Porridge

Originally Posted by May ->
Porridge has always been My choice of breakfast most of My Life,as Meg says You feel full for longer so aren't inclined to snack..It's healthier than most cereals..as long as You don't add loads of sugar.
I often have porridge for breakfast, but the thought of adding sugar makes me feel sick. I tried it once.

As most Scots will agree, it should have salt added and I prefer quite a lot.

Another thing that the old Scots used to do (I don't mean old Scots like you May; I mean Scots of old) was to eat some then let the rest dry out, pack it away and then take the dried solid porridge out to eat on a journey, just like a biscuit I suppose.

Scots are canny, as we all know, and even more tight-fisted than Yorkshire people.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 09:34 PM

I often have porridge for breakfast made with oatmeal (preferably pin head, not rolled oats) and water with salt and ground black pepper. The oatmeal is soaked in the water over night. Adding sugar or fruit is a no no for me.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 02:34 AM

I love hot cereal. Oatmeal, oat bran, cream of wheat and even grits. Yum yum yum.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Out of curiosity..
How thick should porridge be?
My dad used to make it that thick the spoon stood up in it. It put me off for life having to chew it.
After years of going to Butlins Holiday Camps as a child I prefer my porridge watery rather than thick.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 04:28 PM

My husband loved porridge--but that was the only thing I refused to cook for him--cooked eels, tongue, all kinds of offal-stuffed hearts, pike---but could not bring myself to cook porridge !!!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 06:04 PM

Oh Mariana!!!...Porridge..lovely..offal..awful...You' d never get Me to eat or cook liver or any kind of offal....makes Me feel sick just thinking about it
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 06:13 PM

Porridge is supposed to be good at lowering cholesterol.

I do mine in the microwave.

Porridge with soya milk for a minute and a half, then add a blob of honey.
Sometimes I add a bit of fruit too.

yummmm

Oh and if you don't fancy eating it, you can use it as a face pack or wash your hands (or other body parts) in it
socialdancer
Dublin, Ireland
socialdancer is female 

14-07-2016, 07:24 PM

I love my porridge, can't start the day without it. Made with soya milk as I am dairy intolerant, then a good shaking of cinnamon and some cold soya milk....gorgeous. Very occasionally I might feel a need for sweetness, so would drizzle over some maple syrup.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 03:33 AM

I make my porridge by making a protein shake with skimmed milk and water, adding it to a bowl of oats and putting it in the microwave for two minutes. Blob of jam. Devour. Tasty.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 06:14 AM

I make it occasionally, but it does nothing for me and an hour or so later I'm hungry. On the other hand, if I make a full English fry up (again, not often) it keeps me full for hours. I've added honey, a banana, nuts, cinnamon to porridge to try and improve it but to me it's just glutinous paste.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top