Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 02:25 PM

Mediterranean Diet

I'm not sure what has changed in diet and lifestyle during lockdown but have others found all sorts of aches and pains never seen before?

Anyway, in my case I have started to see mild arthritic symptoms. I know that I damaged my hip about three years ago lifting Teddy in and out of his cage and carrying him to the garden right after he had a leg operation. So some days I'd get an ache in that joint. During lockdown the aches and pains became more frequent. But the worse thing is pain in my thumb joint because you use your thumb all the time. I had a nasty hand injury last year and the left index finger is stiff sometimes from that, but now the right index finger and the thumb joints seem to be sympathising! What's going on?!

So I was looking at diet because I'm not yet at the stage when I need painkillers for this, perhaps I had stop it progressing. When I looked at diets, the mediterranean option is most commonly suggested. Well that sounds wonderful. Who doesn't love Italian food?

I was wondering whether anyone has tried this and whether you have had any success? I found a wonderful site with the most delicious looking recipes :

https://www.cookforyourlife.org/menu...iAAEgJn4PD_BwE
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Re: Mediterranean Diet

The injuries you've sustained may have started something like a form of arthritis, there are a few. This might be one of those that are affected by stress, which you may have experienced due to the lockdown. I know it stressed me out a lot so you would not be alone in this. I guess a blood test would give proof of that and if it was arthritis that is stress-related.

Last year, or was it the year before, I've lost track now but I went on an NHS pre-diabetes course as I was almost Type 2 diabetic. The Mediterranean diet was very evident on that as a really good diet regarding stopping diabetes. I ended up changing so many of the foods I used to eat, and quantities, so beat the diagnosis of almost Type 2 diabetic. The Mediterranean diet I didn't try but what I did see of it there were many ways it could benefit anyone, either wanting a healthier lifestyle or just to lose weight.

That link to the Mediterranean diet is interesting, the recipes definitely look very tasty.

There may be information on these links that would help:

https://www.arthritis.org/health-wel...ects-arthritis

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/rheuma...hritis/causes/
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 03:27 PM

I was wondering whether anyone has tried this and whether you have had any success?
I/we have tried a med diet of sorts, not as a cure for anything, but just because it's the kind of food we like. It's simple, it's tasty, and I confess to including the odd rubbish meal like sausages & beans occasionally.

I'd happily offer encouragement. I enjoy talking food and cooking it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 05:13 PM

I like a Mediterranean diet supplemented with magnums.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I like a Mediterranean diet supplemented with magnums.
Magnums of champagne would be nice! A Magnum ice lolly is amazing. It has one third of your fat intake. So you can have 3 a day and a salad
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-07-2020, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I/we have tried a med diet of sorts, not as a cure for anything, but just because it's the kind of food we like. It's simple, it's tasty, and I confess to including the odd rubbish meal like sausages & beans occasionally.

I'd happily offer encouragement. I enjoy talking food and cooking it.
Did it make you feel better while you were on it? The only way to stick to a diet is to allow yourself the occasional treat now and again.

I would love to make Giambotta on the link I shared which looks delicious and is also incredibly healthy even with the egg. Simple one pot meal. Some of these recipes look intriguing. Who would have thought of serving pasta with sardines!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 07:16 PM

If the Mediterranean diet worked there would be no Italians or Spanish people with arthritis!
The pain in that joint is quite common, always has been in those susceptible to arthritis ,nothing new .
One thing that aggravated mine was pulling those rings back on the top of tins . solved that by buying an electric can opener !
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 07:40 PM

The Spanish diet has been known for years to be one of the healthiest in Europe, if not the world.

Unfortunately, the Spaniards then lose their gains by smoking a lot of cigarettes.

One step forward, two steps back.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Did it make you feel better while you were on it? The only way to stick to a diet is to allow yourself the occasional treat now and again.

I would love to make Giambotta on the link I shared which looks delicious and is also incredibly healthy even with the egg. Simple one pot meal. Some of these recipes look intriguing. Who would have thought of serving pasta with sardines!
I've been on it for 40 odd years, don't know if I feel better or not.

Our basic, favourite food is med influenced ...

Proper bread, natural cheeses, live yoghurt, fresh fruit & veg, oily fish, meat in small quantities, olive oil ...

... but the occasional chinese or indian adds variety, the spice of life.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-07-2020, 12:19 AM

Well you do look very youthful Dood so you are a good advertisement! Any aches and pains in your joints or heart problems?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top