Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 02:22 AM

Re: Indoor hobbies

Indoor hobbies that won't aggravate your condition - most of my ideas have already been mentioned.

Learn a new language.

Learn something new - lots of freebie distance learning courses here:-
https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-...full-catalogue

Reading

Writing

Cooking - learn Indian/Chinese/Japanese/Italian Cuisines.

Card Making - lot's of men do it quite beautifully.

Genealogy - I would be happy to help you with that.

Good hunting, Floydy!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 08:11 AM

Hi Flyody,

Got someone to go and play Golf or Cricket with?
Maybe Fishing.
Cooking Exotic Dishes.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 08:39 AM

You could do all sorts of clever things if you got to grips with photoshop Floydy. I've never used it myself - I believe it's quite complicated. Now's the time for you to learn!

I enjoy taking ordinary photo's & turning them into black/white sketch like drawings & putting them in a frame.

How about doing a bit of gentle house decoration? - painting the doors etc..

I very much like the suggestion of you learning keyboard. With headphones you'd bother nobody..

Breathing exercises? - Relaxation exercises?

My only other indoor hobby is reading. Get yourself a good novel & lose yourself in it.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 03:59 PM

Knowing from a post on this thread that you don't like computers for games, I am the same, but how about making your own music using software on the computer?

My youngest granddaughter is into music and I have now learned there is plenty of totally free open source software you could use. That would be quiet enough so as not to disturb anyone else, and is maybe something you could do to avoid the boredom while dealing with your health problem.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 04:05 PM

I imagine Floydy's a closet metal drummer.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 05:49 PM

Wow! Where do I start? I've selected a few of your posts to have a stab at replying to...

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Get a camera
Got one mate but I'm not really into taking photos around the house and pictures of my home town are rather commonplace.

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Maybe taking up painting would be a possibility?
Besoeker, I'd love to be able to paint. The problem with that is I'm left-handed and I remember at school I was smudging everything and making a right old mess. My late mother was an expert artist, exhibiting many paintings and collages. Very craft-driven. I have none of that creativity I'm afraid.

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I understand how you feel Floydy, I can’t stay in the house for long periods, daytime TV drives me potty.

When I have nothing to do in the shed I always go for a ramble then head for the local on the way home, have a few games of darts or dominoes with the other retirees then home for me dinner, you don’t have to drink much, I spread two pints out over a few hours and the time flies by.

How are you at painting (art)? I see Besoeker has already suggested it, I hear that’s a very satisfying hobby, can’t paint myself but you never know your talent till you try it out, say for example you had to design a new album cover for your favourite bands greatest hits, what would you feature on it?, what colours would you use etc., all you need to start you off is paper and pencil, you might even enjoy doing it.

PS. I hope things work out for the best with that hernia, I had it when I was younger, it’s the devil of a thing.
Thank you, Jem. Lovely post
Not so much drawing but I've sent off today for some adult colouring books (no, not that kind!) which feature album cover art and Pink Floyd sleeves and so on. I've also sent for a Sgt. Pepper's jigsaw puzzle which will be interesting.

Originally Posted by basser ->
Go swimming Floydy, gentle exercise down the pool.
Yep, I have that in mind for next week, basser, thanks. I'll do a one-off swim and if I like it and it doesn't aggravate the hernia I may get a 'Tonic Card' for my local pool.

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I’ve got it floydy....cooking, take up creating gourmet dishes for you and your family..imagine the look of delight on mrs floydys face as you present her your latest creation, who knows, you could even end up on bake off....
yes, primus I'm doing that too. Already rustled up some curries and pasta meals for the freezer

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What about writing some short stories Floydy. You seem to be good at writing and funny with it, you could post them on here for us to read.
Hmm I dunno mate. I'm not particularly eloquent or great with word, only in sarcasm form You never know though!

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
If you haven't done it before, how about trying family history. Trace your ancestry, it really gets a grip and you can do it at most libraries now (well we can here) .

You can start off on some of the search sites at home on computer , but getting out to a library might just make a change of four walls.
I thought about this, Puddle Duck and may give it a go. My mother used to do this too at one stage. Wish I still had her findings as they would work as a short cut!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Indoor hobbies that won't aggravate your condition - most of my ideas have already been mentioned.

Learn a new language.

Learn something new - lots of freebie distance learning courses here:-
https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-...full-catalogue

Reading

Writing

Cooking - learn Indian/Chinese/Japanese/Italian Cuisines.

Card Making - lot's of men do it quite beautifully.

Genealogy - I would be happy to help you with that.

Good hunting, Floydy!
Thanks Tabby. Covered most of that but the language could be a possibility

Originally Posted by carol ->
You could do all sorts of clever things if you got to grips with photoshop Floydy. I've never used it myself - I believe it's quite complicated. Now's the time for you to learn!

I enjoy taking ordinary photo's & turning them into black/white sketch like drawings & putting them in a frame.

How about doing a bit of gentle house decoration? - painting the doors etc..

I very much like the suggestion of you learning keyboard. With headphones you'd bother nobody..

Breathing exercises? - Relaxation exercises?

My only other indoor hobby is reading. Get yourself a good novel & lose yourself in it.
I always have a book on the go, Carol. I'll keep those other points in mind too, Thanks

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Knowing from a post on this thread that you don't like computers for games, I am the same, but how about making your own music using software on the computer?

My youngest granddaughter is into music and I have now learned there is plenty of totally free open source software you could use. That would be quiet enough so as not to disturb anyone else, and is maybe something you could do to avoid the boredom while dealing with your health problem.
Not really bud, I want to try and get away from the computer if I can. I'm on it too much with you folks as it is, but it's worth looking into and I will check it out

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Hi Flyody,

Got someone to go and play Golf or Cricket with?
Maybe Fishing.
I'd like to see Mrs. F's face if I take up indoor cricket, golf or fishing, Susie. Nice try though

So, yes were on a roll here I think. Loads of good suggestions thank you.
Tomorrow I'm taking my turntable in to a repair shop to see if it can be mended. I'll then begin collecting vinyl again. Be nice to have some original Pink Floyd albums to play in the background whilst I do my jigsaw or colouring book instead of CDs. Modern technology can never beat the sound of a vinyl record.

Today I went to the cinema and enjoyed a great new film called 'Blinded By The Light' based on a Bruce Springsteen fan who tries to make a break for life. Really good.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I imagine Floydy's a closet metal drummer.

No d00d but my nephew is. I bought him a t-shirt with "Animal" on it last Christmas actually!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 09:01 AM

I know you have thought about cycling before Floydy and that would be my suggestion ..especially with an e-bike. Cycling doesn't put a strain on the stomach muscles but only on the legs. Cycling also burns the calories off and gets you out and about ..although the calorie bit doesn't happen so much with an e-bike.

Explore some of those 'away from the traffic' cycle paths that most areas have. This might be right for you.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 09:20 AM

Use your camera and do macro shots ,play with lighting take unusual angles, learn editing that will take up a lot of time. try getting close up of insects birds etc, so much you can do with a camera around the house. Get into videoing with it and try adding to it with music- scroll writing - joining clips together.
this for example I edited to get the best from the video

zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 02:25 PM

Like a lot of boys of my generation I started making model planes when I was 11 or 12, and have kept it up
Airfix are the best known, though there are others; and you can make ships, tanks, cars etc if you wish

The beauty of it is that you only need simple tools, and can stop at any point if you wish, and just leave things part made for months till you feel like doing it again

When I retired I started making knives
Some people grind or forge their own blades, but you have to be keen to do that
I buy in ready made blades then fit my own handles
You can Search YouTube for 'knife making'. Many of the videos show people using power tools, but it's perfectly possible to do it with hand tools, as I do

Following on from the knives I've learned to do leatherwork to make the sheaths
At first it was just a means to an end, but I've become more interested
I like to think that my work has improved, and I'm thinking about making belts & wallets as well as sheaths
As with most things now, Search YouTube to see more about it

I'm thinking of friends & acquaintances who are not as active as they were, or would like
Their indoor hobbies include -

Small scale carpentry - jewellery boxes, ornaments; that sort of thing

Marquetry

Jewellery making, mostly modern/abstract/geometrical styles

Calligraphy; and going to his local calligraphy club gets him out & meeting people

One friend who served in The Royal Marines, then was a heavy plant mechanic - diggers, bulldozers etc - took up knitting when he retired

Starting Thursday 03/10/19 on Channel 5 there is a series about crafting
By the looks of the trailer they do more than Christmas cards, so that might give you some ideas

The point about all these things is that it doesn't really matter what you do, as long as it exercises your mind and you enjoy it

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top