Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Re: Yet another telephone scam?

Just had the Amazon American on my landline. What really annoyed me, was the fact that I am waiting for a call from the boiler bloke for a service, so when I heard the phone ring, I raced upstairs only to get the usual crap. As it was a recorded message, I could'nt tell the woman to "Go and have sex with yourself!"
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oooh you're a mucky beastie, dongle.

I read only today about another phone call scam of people ringing saying they are from your GP surgery and an appointment has been made for you to attend for your year's flu jab.
They then ask you to pay up front over the phone.

I am sick to death of these people trying to hurt innocent people and take their money!
I would know instantly that was a scam. Our surgery only contacts us by text now..... the fact that they don't have my mobile number doesn't put them off.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 10:23 AM

You just answered your own question, Baz - money!

I read somewhere a while back, that a lot of these scammers from abroad are purchasing numbers that look from affluent areas in London or other big cities.

So who are they paying for these numbers? The phone companies? If so, no wonder they don't want to block them!
I have a feeling that insurance companies are involved somewhere. Whenever I have made a claim in the past, I then get a stream of scam calls.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have a feeling that insurance companies are involved somewhere. Whenever I have made a claim in the past, I then get a stream of scam calls.

Why is this allowed? It seems totally wrong to me.

It should be illegal to sell someone else's personal details - they are personal after all!
We choose who we give our details to, then the company go and make money from us without our knowledge or permission. Same as them floggin' email addresses.

It should be a criminal offence to sell confidential information IMO.
In fact, I'd go one step further, and make it an offence to sell phone UK phone numbers to anyone who's address does not fit the area code they dial from.

If these things were tightened up, it would curb loads of scam calls.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

15-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Why is this allowed? It seems totally wrong to me.

It should be illegal to sell someone else's personal details - they are personal after all!
We choose who we give our details to, then the company go and make money from us without our knowledge or permission. Same as them floggin' email addresses.

It should be a criminal offence to sell confidential information IMO.
In fact, I'd go one step further, and make it an offence to sell phone UK phone numbers to anyone who's address does not fit the area code they dial from.

If these things were tightened up, it would curb loads of scam calls.
I agree Mups. of course there are certain things you can do like join the TPS which helps a bit but it doesn't apply to the Indians and Africans ringing in from Scamland.

Has anyone else noticed that if you put in a claim on your car insurance, you always get those calls about personal injury?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 03:38 PM

Once had one asking if I was married. Told them I was a widower. He then asked if I had any children, so I told him they were killed in the same accident (all tosh, obviously). He just carried on regardless.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 03:39 PM

I agree Mups. of course there are certain things you can do like join the TPS which helps a bit but it doesn't apply to the Indians and Africans ringing in from Scamland.

Has anyone else noticed that if you put in a claim on your car insurance, you always get those calls about personal injury?
A claim doesn't necessarily have to be for an accident either. I had a windscreen cracked on a new car, I gave my mobile number to two companies I contacted to replace the screen. One of them was useless wanting three weeks to do the job, the other one was there the next day. I had to pay the first £75 excess on the insurance. Since then though I have had nothing but those types of calls which have resulted in me having over 30 different blocked numbers on my mobile, all London or Birmingham area codes. Before that I never had any calls at all like that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 03:42 PM

I already have TPS dongle, but as you say, they can't stop the foreign calls coming.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

15-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
A claim doesn't necessarily have to be for an accident either. I had a windscreen cracked on a new car, I gave my mobile number to two companies I contacted to replace the screen. One of them was useless wanting three weeks to do the job, the other one was there the next day. I had to pay the first £75 excess on the insurance. Since then though I have had nothing but those types of calls which have resulted in me having over 30 different blocked numbers on my mobile, all London or Birmingham area codes. Before that I never had any calls at all like that.
Exactly Baz. Sickening isn't it.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 03:49 PM

Exactly Baz. Sickening isn't it.
It is when they say they are phoning about the accident I had for which I was not responsible. I've never had an accident for which I am to blame in 55 years so I tell them that, plus they should check their sources and not call me again!

I always find this very intrusive and annoying. This kind cold calling should be banned as should selling on or collecting any telephone numbers to use for this purpose!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top