Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 07:07 AM

Re: York.

There was a time when one could feel architecture.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There was a time when one could feel architecture.
You are welcome to come and stroke the Minster, Spitty. Don't tickle it though - it might upset the bells!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 07:28 AM

This is true ST, I was in a local neighbourhood yesterday, and walked past a 12th century Church, a magnificent building and, on the creaky gate, well worn by human hand was a modern information plate reading "No public right of way". That was somehow disconcerting.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 08:09 AM

Nice one tabs.
I wouldn’t live anywhere else
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 08:51 AM

A very thoughtful piece of work ST, I enjoyed reading it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
JBR - LOL - nothing like a little early morning pedantry to kick start my day. I was taught that Saxons were part of York's history - albeit a small part.
Thanks ST.

The southerners, who seem to dictate everything in this country, tend to shorten the term 'Anglo-Saxon' to 'Saxon' because it's easier for them.
The Saxons occupied the southern areas - Wessex, Essex, Sussex and Middlesex (West-, East-, South- and Middle-Saxons respectively).
The Angles occupied the northern areas - Northumbria, Mercia and East Anglia.
The Jutes had to manage with just Kent!

By the way, whoever wrote the first extract you quoted has misspelled 'capital' as 'capitol', an inferior American word that they seem to use for their equivalent to 'town hall', but that mistake seems to be becoming increasingly common among uneducated Brits.

Apologies for my sarcastic pedantry!

Nevertheless, a brilliant poem. Have you thought about publishing?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks ST.

Apologies for my sarcastic pedantry!
No apology necessary, JBR, pedants make good teachers - and I love to learn.

Nevertheless, a brilliant poem. Have you thought about publishing?
Thank you. Quite a lot of my scribbling has been published but not that one - yet!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
No apology necessary, JBR, pedants make good teachers - and I love to learn.

Thank you. Quite a lot of my scribbling has been published but not that one - yet!
Incidentally, ST, I didn't know that you live in York.
Perhaps you should change that inferior 'England' location to the superior 'Yorkshire'.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 10:38 AM

Very nice piece Tabby, you notice things that most people don't...
York has been lucky to retain it's old charm and majesty and now tourism is keeping the spirit of York alive. Unfortunately other towns and cities were too quick to enter the modern and bland world and demolished their jewels of architecture, they are now left with empty streets and shuttered shop windows....

My Father in Law was born and bred in York, he followed his father and grandfather's footsteps and was apprenticed at Rowntrees where he worked until war broke out. His application to join the RAF was turned down and he was assigned to work in the pits. He spent the best part of his working life there, working his way up to achieve a supervisory role, but it did not stop his thirst for knowledge.

The history of York was his favourite subject, and he never missed an opportunity to return. You would have liked him Tabby...He taught his daughter about the finer things in life, local history, classical music and fine wine. Some of it rubbed off on me......

When he passed away his treasured books were distributed around no less than six libraries, so large was his collection....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

17-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Very nice piece Tabby, you notice things that most people don't...
York has been lucky to retain it's old charm and majesty and now tourism is keeping the spirit of York alive. Unfortunately other towns and cities were too quick to enter the modern and bland world and demolished their jewels of architecture, they are now left with empty streets and shuttered shop windows....

My Father in Law was born and bred in York, he followed his father and grandfather's footsteps and was apprenticed at Rowntrees where he worked until war broke out. His application to join the RAF was turned down and he was assigned to work in the pits. He spent the best part of his working life there, working his way up to achieve a supervisory role, but it did not stop his thirst for knowledge.

The history of York was his favourite subject, and he never missed an opportunity to return. You would have liked him Tabby...He taught his daughter about the finer things in life, local history, classical music and fine wine. Some of it rubbed off on me......

When he passed away his treasured books were distributed around no less than six libraries, so large was his collection....

He sounds like my kind of man, Foxy!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top