Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 11:03 AM

Re: Reminiscent of my childhood days

I was saying just the other day that you no longer see kids wearing balaclavas when it's cold out. That would look pretty weird these days.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Remember the Corona Man and his four bottles of squash in a wooden crate?
Yes I think so.

I remember daddy's refillable schweppes soda siphons by the crate.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Remember growing up in the 50's too. Icicles on the inside of the bedroom windows making pretty patterns, quilted nylon bed covers with matching pillowcase, Hot water bottle in the bed and dad's heavy old Army greatcoat always placed on top of the covers once I was in bed. newspaper in my brother's shoes when snowing, shoes warmed by the fire, toast made by a real fire Out in the morning with pals, back at teatime. playing in fields, woods and streams without fear. Hopscotch on the pavements, Hide and Seek on the green, Marbles with my brothers and their pals, making go-karts with disused prams, being the guinea pig to test it downhill, eating every meal at the table, cooked breakfast or Scott's Porridge Oats with hot milk and sugar, reading comics, four proper seasons in the year.

How the days seemed endless. Lovely memories.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Did anyone have to say prayers before eating? Were you made to sit at the table till you had eating everything that was on your plate? No pudding unless you ate all your dinner? No talking at the table? Sit there till your Mum and Dad had finished eating? Not get down from the table till told to?
May seem harsh today but then it was taken for granted.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 06:50 PM

Did anyone have to say prayers before eating? Were you made to sit at the table till you had eating everything that was on your plate? No pudding unless you ate all your dinner? No talking at the table? Sit there till your Mum and Dad had finished eating? Not get down from the table till told to?
We also had to 'lay the table' with a tablecloth, the correct plates and utensils, then sit and wait patiently for the meal to be served. One other thing you've not mentioned big ben, although this may not have applied to you, but if we didn't eat the meal it would be served up the next day!

All that does sound harsh but that's how things were in those days, it was called discipline. Today I often see all that ignored as it's not insisted on. More than one type of food is cooked and served, everybody seems to have their own special requirements catered for today. What about the person who has to do all this! Is there any thought for them at all and how difficult this makes preparing food for every meal?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was saying just the other day that you no longer see kids wearing balaclavas when it's cold out. That would look pretty weird these days.

They might be mistaken for terrorists these days!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 07:16 PM

I had to ask to be excused to leave the table, I said "thank you for my meal, please may I leave the table"
It was just what we did as a family, good table manners were important
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Remember growing up in the 50's too. Icicles on the inside of the bedroom windows making pretty patterns, quilted nylon bed covers with matching pillowcase, Hot water bottle in the bed and dad's heavy old Army greatcoat always placed on top of the covers once I was in bed. newspaper in my brother's shoes when snowing, shoes warmed by the fire, toast made by a real fire Out in the morning with pals, back at teatime. playing in fields, woods and streams without fear. Hopscotch on the pavements, Hide and Seek on the green, Marbles with my brothers and their pals, making go-karts with disused prams, being the guinea pig to test it downhill, eating every meal at the table, cooked breakfast or Scott's Porridge Oats with hot milk and sugar, reading comics, four proper seasons in the year.

How the days seemed endless. Lovely memories.
Lovely memories indeed shroppy . Wonderful to reminisce isn't it.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 07:25 PM

... no vegan alternatives ... your parents might suspect you intend supergluing yourself to public transport.
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Remember raiding the bins looking for ginger bottles get money back on the them; going into the baker shop see if they had any broken biscuits the wee woman always found some; Chip in together so one of us could get into the afternoon matinee they in turn go down to the toilets where the emergency
exit was and let the rest in; flying down a hill on a boggy with no brakes: climbing trees all types of buildings though I had a slight hiccup I fell through the skylight on the roof good fun: Then came the teen yrs great time to be youg

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top