Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Two extraordinary days!

Both very different – but interesting none the less.

Monday

Attended two talks. The first was given by the most incredible woman I have ever met – Veronica Bird, OBE. She is an ex prison governor and has the distinction of being the first ever female governor of a male prison. She has dealt with the likes of Charles Bronson and Myra Hindley, and been invited to Russia to advise on prison improvements. Looking at her you would never guess her career choice. She is tiny – only 5ft 3ins – very slim, delicate featured and quite softly spoken – but what a powerful personality! And what a wicked sense of humour! She had us in fits of laughter most of the afternoon.

https://vimeo.com/254714554

The second talk was given by York Police. It was held in the conference room of a local insurance company. I was shown up there by a delightful young man with violently purple hair and trousers so tight you could tell he was left handed. He settled me with a cup of tea and quietly vanished. This talk was on fraud, staying safe on the internet and victim support. Interesting – yes -but nothing I have not already learned from members here on the OFF forum.

Tuesday

Went to York College for an induction meeting. I have embarked on a course – “Understanding Nutrition and Health”. Had no idea when I enrolled that it was part of a professional qualification and was to be so intense. Not at all sure my ancient brain cells are going to cope with it – but will give it my best shot. We all had to sign a ‘Individual Learning Plan’ at the end of the induction – if we ‘drop out’ at any point after that we will be fined £100 to cover administration and resources costs – which is fair enough.

The induction was very thorough – took us through all the resource material, explained how to access the college library, how to apply for ID Badges etc., We were also given advice on research facilities, plagiarism and copyright laws – and warned to stay out of Wikipedia as it is not reliable.

The facilitator then told us - as this is a prestigious college with a reputation to maintain - our spelling, grammar and syntax would be corrected as part of the ‘feed-back’ from our tutors. Two people walked out at this point – said it was too much like being back at school! Weird or what?

My first assignment is due 26th November – so I had better start reading!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 10:34 AM

Re: Two extraordinary days!

Hi

You certainly live a very full and interesting life, it is an inspiration.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You certainly live a very full and interesting life, it is an inspiration.
What a lovely thing to say! Thank you, Swimmy.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 10:39 AM

Amazing woman can see her talk would have enthralled every one.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 10:51 AM

ST, I think it’s brilliant that you are doing the course. Anything that gets you out, makes your brain work is good.
Use it, or lose it! I say!

I love going to talks, l go to one every month. Most have been very interesting and spellbinding.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

30-10-2019, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Amazing woman can see her talk would have enthralled every one.
It certainly did, Cinderella. I bought a copy of her book and have already read most of it. Veronica began her journey as the daughter of a Barnsley miner - has met Princess Ann (whom she admires), Prince Andrew (whom she does not), and been awarded the OBE by the Queen.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 10:55 AM

We all had to sign a ‘Individual Learning Plan’ at the end of the induction – if we ‘drop out’ at any point after that we will be fined £100 to cover administration and resources costs – which is fair enough.

did they say this when you looked them up? only I suspect if not they could be breaking trades description act.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:01 AM

Hey congrats on enrolling on that course. If we had lived close to each other i.d have joined with you. It's really strange because I too have thought I would like to learn much more about nutrition. I even looked into training to be a nutritionalist, it is 4 years training.
Since embarking on my healthy lifestyle and losing a lot of weight I have learned a lot by much reading but I.dime to learn more as it really interests me.

Enjoy and keep me informed about the course .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

30-10-2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We all had to sign a ‘Individual Learning Plan’ at the end of the induction – if we ‘drop out’ at any point after that we will be fined £100 to cover administration and resources costs – which is fair enough.

did they say this when you looked them up? only I suspect if not they could be breaking trades description act.
It was not mentioned on the original enrollment request form - but it was made clear at the beginning of the induction session and we were told again before we signed our Learning Plans. We could have opted out at any point during the induction without any cost. Am sure they were not breaking any rules.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

30-10-2019, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Enjoy and keep me informed about the course .
I certainly will, LQ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top