Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 09:41 PM

Re: Is editing worth doing?

As has been said, the lines were part of the scene as it is today. I can see the point of anyone who would want to remove them though. They weren't there when that historic building was built and any photographer might want to show as far as possible the way it was before the telephone lines went across the skyline. The colours are bright but perhaps that's the way they were originally before air pollution happened? I wouldn't know because I've never been there.

Personally, I like a photo to show the scene as it was seen by the eye and I'll do a bit of editing if I think the photo hasn't done that ..and those are most often very subtle changes.

* A bit of brightness and contrast adjustment perhaps.

* When a building looks to be leaning because the camera lens distortion, I might correct that because it isn't what the eye sees.

* Cropping to the subject of the photo.

Processing a photo after it has been transferred to the computer can give it a little extra 'something' but having said that, it's the photo's content that counts and that's the thing that most people will remark on. The editing I do will probably be done to satisfy me. Anyone else might not notice it.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 09:53 PM

I would make another layer, two identical images. Up the saturation, bend the levels and curves of the top layer, then erase all but the cathedral. It is a colourful building and the focal point point.

The foremost problem with image #2 is not the cathedral but the surroundings.

But it's a crap picture to begin with.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 10:10 PM

Do you realize how many people you left in the dark?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 10:13 PM

Do you realize how many people lost their legs in the making of this picture?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 10:15 PM

Unedited

RAW (on here in Jpeg format)

Jpeg

data on Raw file

Standard Information
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D800

ExposureTime: 1/60"
Aperture: F11.0
MaxAperture: F2.8

ISO: 125
WhiteBalance: Auto1
FocalLength: 50.0 mm

LensSpec: 24-70mm f/2.8 G
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 10:32 PM

I used the Acme Straightening Tool on it.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I used the Acme Straightening Tool on it.

looks better I never used distortion tool on mine
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 01:12 AM

I must admit my first question would have been why take the picture from that location? Surely it would have been easy to walk a few metres closer and take the photo from where the people in the foreground were standing (ie from that railing) which should cut out a lot of the clutter. To me that is the most distracting thing about the photo.

Perhaps there were other reasons why it had to be taken from where it was? Personally I think closer is always better, gives the photo more impact. Just my opinion.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 07:03 PM

I edited this - but look at the rector's signature.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top