Join for free
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 02:07 PM

Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

It might be useful to keep OFF members up to date on some of the horrible scams which are being sent our way, these days.

Maybe some will know about them, maybe some will be bored by them, but maybe some will be pleased to hear the "outlines" of scams so that they further research them if they need to.

For example:-

"Royal Mail Text Message" scam -

Mostly sent, by Hackers, to Android Phones saying that Royal Mail failed to delver a parcel to your abode.

The message has a Royal Mail Logo and comes with a couple of helpful messages which end up with you being asked to OK them to read all of your text messages - When you click OK they take over, install the Fake Spyware on your phone and run your connected devices from there even when those devices are in standby mode. apparently it's called "Faked Spy" and is Chinese!

Look it up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 02:19 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Good idea Ted.

I have thought the same in the past when I have posted a scam.
There are so many now, so no one knows them all.

As you say, some might be bored, but they can make a choice whether to read it or not.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 02:22 PM

I had a text this morning allegedly from HSBC telling me my account had been frozen and to release I was to contact this Email address. Was I suspicious? of course I was ..i've never had any accounts or dealings with HSBC.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I had a text this morning allegedly from HSBC telling me my account had been frozen and to release I was to contact this Email address. Was I suspicious? of course I was ..i've never had any accounts or dealings with HSBC.

Persistent swines, aren't they EZ.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 02:56 PM

Actually it wasn't an Email address, it was a phone number believe it or not!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 03:57 PM

The most recent one I remember was purportedly from Virgin Media.
It asked for members' opinions, which I was (initially) happy to supply.
Some innocent questions were asked, such as local area, etc., but then having established that I am an existing customer, it asked for my bank details.
At that point, of course, I closed it and deleted it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 09:07 PM

Good idea Ted, I always try to keep up to date with the latest scams, and I will always read posts identifying the latest ones....
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 03:26 AM

Believe NOTHING you get in an email and delete without opening unless you know for sure who it is. Believe NOBODY who rings you on a landline or SMS you on a mobile if you don't know who they are. If they really want you they will write to you with an identify address. It's like cyber COVID. I personally don't have a bar of internet banking. I can do without it.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 09:55 AM

I believe that I have said it before. I am bored at the present time, so when I get a scam phone call, I ‘play’ with them for as long as I can. Oh yes I have given fake bank details, of banks that I don’t have accounts with.
When I am entertaining them, they can’t be trying it on with others.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 10:12 AM

I recall when all this telephone 'scam' business first started, I had a friend who had just started his own small business. As his telephone number was widely advertised he was getting many scam calls every day, a real annoyance anyway but worse if existing and prospective customers couldn't get though, plus he had to stop working to answer the phone. One time I was with him in his office when a call from one of these 'scam' callers came through, his answer went like this:

"Hello, this is xxxx company for all your printing requirements, xxxx speaking."

"I do not divulge confidential information over the telephone." "I do not divulge confidential information over the telephone." "I do not divulge confidential information over the telephone." "I do not divulge confidential information over the telephone." "I do not divulge confidential information over the telephone." "I do not divulge confidential information over the telephone."

It went on like this and continued until the caller decided they had heard enough and terminated the call, a brilliant way of dealing with that annoying kind of call.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top