Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 11:47 AM

Re: A new crop from Australia!

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Thing is that rats and mice continually urinate as they go so presumably the grains in the storage places infested by rats and mice will be contaminated. Gonna be hard to export surely?

Todger's right - and the rats pee contains the dreaded Weil's disease - Leptospirosis.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Todger's right - and the rats pee contains the dreaded Weil's disease - Leptospirosis.
The Chinese will never notice though Mups !

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Mups, Not all rats. It’s only contained in their urine, if they are infected with Weil’s disease.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mups, Not all rats. It’s only contained in their urine, if they are infected with Weil’s disease.
Problem is, you don't know if the rat is infected or not. The ones here look healthy enough but I'd not want to pick one up.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Problem is, you don't know if the rat is infected or not. The ones here look healthy enough but I'd not want to pick one up.
Even if not Leptospirosis there's lots of other bugs and things they piddle out - and they continually piddle as they go.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Even if not Leptospirosis there's lots of other bugs and things they piddle out - and they continually piddle as they go.
TAT, l keep hens, so you can be sure there’s always a rat lurking about but l haven’t been affected with anything ‘rattish’!

That might be because according to the Chinese zodiac... l am a Rat!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
TAT, l keep hens, so you can be sure there’s always a rat lurking about but l haven’t been affected with anything ‘rattish’!

That might be because according to the Chinese zodiac... l am a Rat!
In that case you are immune.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

13-05-2021, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The Chinese will never notice though Mups !

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
one leptospirosis for one covid 19 fair enough?

seems to be a lot of piddlin goin on around here atm?

there are millions of people eating rats all around the globe daily - haven't seen any outbreaks apart from this thread that is?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by bret ->
one leptospirosis for one covid 19 fair enough?

seems to be a lot of piddlin goin on around here atm?

there are millions of people eating rats all around the globe daily - haven't seen any outbreaks
apart from this thread that is?

One like to assume they are cooked first!
Maybe cooking destroys the bacteria?

How do you happen to know 'million' of people eat rats?
And how do you know none of these 'millions' have been ill?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-05-2021, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->

Yes, precisely Tiff. I would prefer to play safe, and take precautions as if they are all carriers.

Years ago when I worked in kennels we were told not to leave water down at night incase of encouraging rats.

When I kept poultry, no water was ever left outside at night.
If an infected rat drank from that water, or got to the feed hopper, I wouldn't want to be eating those eggs.

Even now, I empty the water from my wild birds tables before dark, too.

This is another reason why they suggest we wear gloves when gardening too, incase we have a small cut that can pick up Lepto.

Here is a bit from the NHS website:

" Leptospirosis is spread in the pee of infected animals – most commonly rats, mice, cows, pigs and dogs.

You can get leptospirosis if:

Soil or freshwater (such as water from a river, canal or lake) that contains infected pee gets in your mouth, eyes or a cut – usually during activities like kayaking, outdoor swimming or fishing
If you touch an infected animal's blood or flesh – usually from working with animals or animal parts

It's very rare to get leptospirosis from pets, other people or bites."

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top