Join for free
Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 11:18 AM

Re: Low BPM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Bob that doesn't sound too bad.

I have refused an ablation on a number of occasion in spite of being pushed to have one one by 2 Electrophysiologists I won't go into my reasons why I refuse to have it .
I would have a pacemaker if I get to the stage where I can't cope any more on medication.

One word about Ablation. is is intended to improve quality of life it is not a cure and many people have a number performed . If you do go down the rout of having a procedure I suggest doing some research and make sure you have an experienced team doing it someone like Professor Schilling who is hugely experienced in Ablation.
You can ask for a referral from your GP to see him at Barts in London or anyone else with lots of experience.
info on Schilling here...
https://londonafcentre.com/

Good luck Bob whatever you decide
Thanks Meg....

I've looked ablation up on the net and it doesn't always have the desired effect does it.
The doctor did point out the risks involved and I'm wondering if I might be worse off that I am now. I have to face the fact that running is not a safe activity for me anymore.... But it will be a small price to pay if I can can remain fit and healthy in other less strenuous ways.
I might even be able to avoid surgery by living a more sedate lifestyle. I expect the Hospital to be contacting me soon and will welcome a second opinion after the MRI scan. And I agree with you Meg, I shall do lots of research before making any rash decisions......As most members on the forum know, I am not known for making rash decisions.....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Meg....

I've looked ablation up on the net and it doesn't always have the desired effect does it.
The doctor did point out the risks involved and I'm wondering if I might be worse off that I am now. I have to face the fact that running is not a safe activity for me anymore.... But it will be a small price to pay if I can can remain fit and healthy in other less strenuous ways.
I might even be able to avoid surgery by living a more sedate lifestyle. I expect the Hospital to be contacting me soon and will welcome a second opinion after the MRI scan. And I agree with you Meg, I shall do lots of research before making any rash decisions......As most members on the forum know, I am not known for making rash decisions.....
Hi Bob I won't say too much on Ablation I don't wish to influence your choice one way or another...
Knowing you any decision you make will be after careful consideration.

Some years ago when I first experienced serious problems and discovered my scarily symptomatic arrhythmia was progressive (many have no symptoms) I did lots of research and found the LEGACY study in Australia .
In line with the study I changed my lifestyle by losing weight/cutting out alcohol / eating an even better diet than my already good diet/ avoiding stress/more sleep /gentle excercise . I think I managed to halt the progression for a couple of years and can tolerate my current episodes rather than opting for an invasive procedure unless I really have to.

Bob you are slim and fit already so any the adjustments you make to lifestyle would be small.

I am watching all the new treatments being trialed and hoping I can last out long enough to befit from one of them
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 11:50 AM

Hi Bob I won't say too much on Ablation I don't wish to influence your choice one way or another...
Knowing you any decision you make will be after careful consideration.

Some years ago when I first experienced serious problems and discovered my scarily symptomatic arrhythmia was progressive (many have no symptoms) I did lots of research and found the LEGACY study in Australia .
In line with the study I changed my lifestyle by losing weight/cutting out alcohol / eating an even better diet than my already good diet/ avoiding stress/more sleep /gentle excercise . I think I managed to halt the progression for a couple of years and can tolerate my current episodes rather than opting for an invasive procedure unless I really have to.

Bob you are slim and fit already so any the adjustments you make to lifestyle would be small.

I am watching all the new treatments being trialed and hoping I can last out long enough to befit from one of them
Thanks Meg, I am hoping that just by stopping running I might be able to postpone the inevitable, pending the feedback from Sheffield of course. I feel good most of the time apart from the tiredness some of the time, and am loath to put that at risk by unnecessary surgery or medication. Question is: would any treatment be unnecessary?
I sincerely hope that both of us will be having this conversation in 20 years time....Good luck with the search Meg....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 12:26 PM

I think Meg's given some very good advice Foxy.
Sometimes it takes someone who has the problem themself, to understand more.

Good luck, and take good care of yourself. x
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 01:53 PM

Well OGF, it's good to see that you're still determined & have so much support in here, and that you're heading in the right direction to see some resolution to your dilemma even if it does mean no running for now.
So my fingers remain crossed for you and here's hoping your NHS wait isn't too long, though it does at least sound promising.
Sending you my best wishes.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Meg, I am hoping that just by stopping running I might be able to postpone the inevitable, pending the feedback from Sheffield of course. I feel good most of the time apart from the tiredness some of the time, and am loath to put that at risk by unnecessary surgery or medication. Question is: would any treatment be unnecessary?
I sincerely hope that both of us will be having this conversation in 20 years time....Good luck with the search Meg....
Hi Bob depending of course on your full diagnosis and your Consultant some treatment may be necessary to prevent a worsening condition, stopping running may not be enough .

Something that is obviously important is avoiding a decrease in your stamina, you are clearly very fit now and it would not be good to lose that.
Walking is good 'fast enough to talk but not sing' as they say and I am sure the consultant will come up with a plan for moderate excercise.

I could never give up my daily walks not just because of physical stamina but from a well being mental health point of view, I might go mad if I had to .
After a busy time at work the first thing I did on getting home was change my clothes/walking shoes on and out across the fields.

I hope you don't have to wait too long to see the consultant Bob....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-07-2021, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think Meg's given some very good advice Foxy.
Sometimes it takes someone who has the problem themself, to understand more.

Good luck, and take good care of yourself. x
Thanks Mups, that's the beauty of the forum, you get the chance to talk to someone with similar problems and compare notes....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-07-2021, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Well OGF, it's good to see that you're still determined & have so much support in here, and that you're heading in the right direction to see some resolution to your dilemma even if it does mean no running for now.
So my fingers remain crossed for you and here's hoping your NHS wait isn't too long, though it does at least sound promising.
Sending you my best wishes.
Thanks Zaphod, I appreciate your support.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-07-2021, 10:20 PM

Hi Bob depending of course on your full diagnosis and your Consultant some treatment may be necessary to prevent a worsening condition, stopping running may not be enough .

Something that is obviously important is avoiding a decrease in your stamina, you are clearly very fit now and it would not be good to lose that.
Walking is good 'fast enough to talk but not sing' as they say and I am sure the consultant will come up with a plan for moderate excercise.

I could never give up my daily walks not just because of physical stamina but from a well being mental health point of view, I might go mad if I had to .
After a busy time at work the first thing I did on getting home was change my clothes/walking shoes on and out across the fields.

I hope you don't have to wait too long to see the consultant Bob....
Thanks Meg, you sound a lot like me, after a busy day at work I couldn't wait to get home and change into my running kit. Sometimes I was so tired while driving home, but as soon as I got running out into the country all my tiredness melted away and any problems were solved. I will welcome a second opinion from the team at sheffield and perhaps a way to exercise safely in the future...I think I'll stick to the heart monitor instead of singing Meg, singing wouldn't go down so well with the neighbours at six in the morning....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 10:48 PM

OGF, think I've got the pace record, on a global scale, so, before health issues intervene, I may stand back also.

Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top