Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:28 PM

Pets and Hygiene

Tiffany's post of her encounter with the rottweiler made me wonder.

How persnickety are we about our pets and hygiene?
How persnickety should we be?

As a cat owner it is fairly easy - I am responsible for keeping their food bowls and litter tray in good order - they take care of everything else themselves. They don't rush to greet people, they don't need bathing and they don't lick anyone. They both sleep on my bed on their own furry throw.

A friend who has two dogs allows them to lick her dinner plates at the end of a meal. They jump all over visitors and try to lick faces. They both sleep on - occasionally in - her bed

Yet another friend who has a dog would faint with shock at that thought. She washes his feed bowls and cutlery separately from her own - and never allows him on her bed without putting an old sheet on it first. If he attempts to lick anyone he is sent out of the room!

Where do you draw the line??
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:32 PM

Re: Pets and Hygiene

I keep the dog off my bed, and wash everything of hers separately. I don't mind her licking my hand but not my face. She has her own bed, but I allow her on the sofa.....NO dinner plate licking, UGH! I wouldn't send her away if she did lick my face though - I would just wash. Dogs need to be with you (unlike cats who don't, heh!) Licking is connecting with you, so its no big deal...but I'd rather keep her off my face thanks!
Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

19-07-2021, 09:35 PM

''As a cat owner it is fairly easy - I am responsible for keeping their food bowls and litter tray in good order - they take care of everything else themselves. They don't rush to greet people, they don't need bathing and they don't lick anyone. They both sleep on my bed on their own furry throw.''

Ditto

She does try to sniff and lick my plate with food on it and when its empty,but usually a good stare sends her on her way.

Plus she has her own blankets etc which get washed weekly.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:41 PM

Neither of my cats are remotely interested in 'people food' - so the plate problem doesn't arise. Nemo will steal the odd mushroom from the punnet if I am silly enough to leave it within reach - but that is all.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:47 PM

My boys (dogs) prefer the outdoors in summer and indoors in winter - tonight it’s -1 so they’re in the lounge asleep. They don’t like sleeping in my bed which works fine for me. I clean up after them and wash and clean their bowls every other day. They have a bath once a week because I’m wait for it… allergic to dogs and cats to a lesser degree… how was I supposed to know

They don’t beg or eat off the plate ever. They know they’ll get a nibble
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:50 PM

Tirzah and Olivia have the run of the house except for our bedroom. I wouldn't mind them there but experinec has taught us that Tirzah is likley to mark her territory and Olivia will attack my feet every time I move them.

Murtagh has never been up the stairs which suits us, so he gets the run of the down stairs only and the garden. He normally sleeps on one of the sofas on a throw but in this weather he sleeps on the hall tiles.

I am happy for all of them to lick my hand although I always wash my hands after playing with them but not my face.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:51 PM

We have a friend whose dog gets his Sunday roast on his china plate. No way we would do that. Max has his own own metal bowls, one for food and one for water. We do give him a treat but that's in the garden. Usually a rice bone. But otherwise, he gets just the correct food.
Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

19-07-2021, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Neither of my cats are remotely interested in 'people food' - so the plate problem doesn't arise. Nemo will steal the odd mushroom from the punnet if I am silly enough to leave it within reach - but that is all.
My cat likes Marmite.
So I gotta make sure I don't leave the plate unattended..Not even for second cos she'll be on it..
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Tiffany's post of her encounter with the rottweiler made me wonder.

How persnickety are we about our pets and hygiene?
How persnickety should we be?

As a cat owner it is fairly easy - I am responsible for keeping their food bowls and litter tray in good order - they take care of everything else themselves. They don't rush to greet people, they don't need bathing and they don't lick anyone. They both sleep on my bed on their own furry throw.

A friend who has two dogs allows them to lick her dinner plates at the end of a meal. They jump all over visitors and try to lick faces. They both sleep on - occasionally in - her bed

Yet another friend who has a dog would faint with shock at that thought. She washes his feed bowls and cutlery separately from her own - and never allows him on her bed without putting an old sheet on it first. If he attempts to lick anyone he is sent out of the room!

Where do you draw the line??
First off, I will have to admit to spoiling our pets excessively, especially our dogs however, they are not allowed to beg for food, jump up on people, bark whenever they want of do whatever they please. They are well trained behaved dogs.
They aren’t perfect though. Like us they make mistakes.
I also however let them sleep on the bed but in their own beds. They are little well behaved hooligans whom I adore.

A while before we moved here we had some friends whom we had invited over for dinner one night. They had two huge dogs. One was a Newfoundland / Burmese mountain dog. The other dog came later. Anyway the dog ate my brand new sandals while we ate our dinner and after dinner they both let their dog eat their food right off their plates. This dogs head was well above the dinner table. After that ( I can’t believe there even was an after that ) when they invited us over to eat, they reached over the table, right in front of where I was eating and fed their dog right at the table. I couldn’t believe it.
This same dog also lifted its leg and urinated on a plant which was on the floor like it was an everyday thing.
See how tolerant I am.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
We have a friend whose dog gets his Sunday roast on his china plate. No way we would do that. Max has his own own metal bowls, one for food and one for water. We do give him a treat but that's in the garden. Usually a rice bone. But otherwise, he gets just the correct food.
Exactly.
Dog food on dog plates at doggie dinner time snd that’s it.
They don’t beg if you don’t teach them to.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top