Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 03:44 PM

Re: I hate wholemeal bread

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
The half wheat half rye loaf from the Polish Bakery is very nice and none of their breads contain additives or preservatives.
This looks a good bread Yolande. It has just the basic ingredients needed for a sourdough, flour, salt, yeast, water which tells me it is the genuine article. In fact it sounds almost the same as a standard Levain De Campagne loaf which is a blend of White, Wholewheat and Rye flours with a rye starter. The description on the supermarket site doesn't tell me about the process they use to make it sadly so I'm unclear if they fermented it for many hours or if it is "forced" like so many other breads. I will look out for it though as it would be a good backstop for the times when I haven't had time to make my own sourdough.
Nan
County Durham, UK
Nan is female 

31-12-2018, 12:39 AM

I prefer wholemeal - never buy white now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nan ->
I prefer wholemeal - never buy white now.

Same here. Haven't bought a white loaf for years.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Same here. Haven't bought a white loaf for years.
Nor me...

(For decades actually)
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 05:59 AM

I'm fortunate in that I have an Italian family baker's shop close to my dwelling [circa a ten minute drive] and they make bread that is FABULOUS. I asked Toni once,if he could find time to make me a fully-seeded brown loaf...and the result of that request was a standing order. I mentioned Toni to three people...and he had SO many recommendations as a result,from the locality,that 'Pane Italiano' is a really happy,healthy,thriving little family business...and the brown 'full seed' bread I have from him is bloody exquisite!
I don't eat much-espresso is my 'go to'...but Toni's bread is ALWAYS welcome as a treat or a snack. I've tried shop bread,from various outlets....it comes in as 'unplaced' in comparison. Even the crust is a taste sensation to be savoured [especially when dipped in a boiled egg]...VIVA small bakeries!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 11:52 AM

You're very privileged to live next to an true artisan bakery Pug, well done indeed. There's no comparison between artisan bread and supermarket bread made using the Chorleywood process. Your artisan bread there will be "long fermented" which is where the great taste comes from and that long fermentation makes the bread healthy, easily digestible, in the form that it should be for human consumption. Don't save it as a treat imo, eat it regularly.

He should be able to make you a mean Pan De Campagne (wheat, rye and white flours) and some great Deli Rye's for sandwiches plus at this time of year he should have been churning out Italian Pannetones all day long (I'd be so jealous!).

Ask him for a small amount of his rye starter (approx 50g) and you'll be able to start making your own sourdoughs. In fact you could volunteer to help in his bakery every now and then and you'd have a master to learn from ! Great fun to boot !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 12:03 PM

50/50 for us. It looks like white but tastes OK.

I love other types of bread but they don't like me sadly.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
The Polish Bakery is the brand name like Hovis or Warburtons, so I'm not sure
yours are the same Moscow?
I'm not understanding your post tbh.

I buy a half wheat / half rye loaf from M&S or Co-op........

They are not 'branded' .
They are baked by the in house bakery

I have just bought a sourdough starter kit from 'HappyKombucha.co.uk' and when I was in Seahouses today I bought some organic ryeflour from the little Grocers shop there.

I will be making a loaf of my own organic sourdough ryebread over the next day or so.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 08:59 PM

Yes I understood your post Moscow and my reply was that The Polish Bakery was a brand name, that appears in many supermarkets, as well as Polish shops, as opposed to the in house bakeries you mentioned.

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top