Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 03:31 AM

Re: Have not been well

Originally Posted by John ->
I have the same symptoms as Ethel. Just spent a horrendous week coughing, being sick, shivering and not had any food for three days. Spent most of the time in bed moaning and groaning. As being said earlier in the thread, there is loads of this norovirus about

The descriptions being given, mostly in terms of time periods, don't sound like Norovirus TBH.

It doesn't last weeks and it's not a cold/flu/blocked nose type of virus. It is a gastro-intestinal illness.

It comes on suddenly and gives you chronic sickness and diarrhoea for 48hrs. It is highly contagious but it clears up pretty quickly, it's just very unpleasant if you don't have the means to stop it in its tracks.

Regardless my earlier point stands for either colds/flu or Norovirus which is to let your body raise its temperature and give you a fever and don't take paracetamols, neurofens etc which will force the fever down.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Hope Ethel and all others are soon feeling better. I have had a cold and cough for two weeks now and feel like I am turning a corner, as in coughing less, blowing my nose less, and it’s not filling up with gunk so much! At times I felt I was going to choke, I couldn’t breathe. I had plenty of bed rest in the beginning, after seeing to the dog. Thankfully I now have the garden I can chuck her out into for those times I didn’t want to walk her.
Yes ,hope everyone's on the mend now .
Sounds like mine has been the same as yours from your description Jazzi , true enough I did feel I was going to choke on the phlegm at times . Has lasted 2 weeks too ,the same .

As Realist has just said the Norovirus is a Gastro intestinal one ,wouldn't like to argue that you can't have both at the same time tho God forbid!
The twice I have fallen for the latter I've been in hotels confined to my room .
The first time was in Spain and the doctor who visited my companion gave him an injection to stop the vomiting . Mine was the worst , imagine evacuating from both ends at the same time ! !! Altho advised not to drink fizzy drinks I found sipping flat Coca-Cola and water helpful .
The doctor also advised no food for 48 hours then a little boiled potato and carrot .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Altho advised not to drink fizzy drinks I found sipping flat Coca-Cola and water helpful .

Cola would help because it is essentially just phosphoric acid which would create an unpalatable environment in your stomach for the virus and bugs.

People who go white water rafting at artificial rafting sites often swear by cola because they know they are bound to swallow some contaminated rafting water at some point so they always drink lots of cola.

Myself, I just always have a small bottle of Grapefruit Seed Extract with me. One of the most potent natural antibiotics and antiviral, antiseptic products you can get. A few drops of that in a glass of water kills the Norovirus very quickly. I recovered from that condition in less than 12 hrs as a result.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 02:28 PM

Why would white water rafting water be contaminated?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

12-12-2019, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Why would white water rafting water be contaminated?
Because many rivers are contaminated

There are serious risks of water activities from contracting infections from water born viruses. A common one is Weil's Disease as mentioned here:

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/n...-weils-disease

"Weils Disease (Leptospirosis)

All water users should be aware of this potentially fatal infection.

This is a bacterial infection normally believed to be spread by rat urine, though can also be transmitted by cat, fox and rabbit urine. Transmission is usually through an open wound or abrasion but can also be coursed by ingestion of contaminated water.

Symptoms are lethargy, diarrhoea, headaches, vomiting and muscle pain; sometimes referred to as flu like symptoms, if untreated can be fatal. "

Then there's this report:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...157027379.html

Family sues Whitewater Center in brain-eating amoeba death

"Seitz, 18, died of a rare brain infection caused by a single-celled animal, the amoeba Naegleria fowleri, days after visiting the center on June 8, 2016, with a church group. She was in a raft that overturned. The amoeba can infect a person when water goes up the nose and infections are rare, but almost always fatal."

also read this:

Record number of people are being treated for a deadly infection spread by RATS: Disease causes organ failure and is now at unprecedented levels

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...RINE-year.html

"A deadly infection spread by rats has reached record levels in the number of hospital appointments taken up by people suffering from the illness.

Hospital sessions for people suffering from Weil's disease, which is spread by rats' urine, are three times the level three years ago and are now at unprecedented levels.

The illness, which can be difficult to diagnose without sophisticated tests, attacks the kidneys and liver, and claims the life of around one or two people every year.

Weil's disease bacteria can enter the body through cuts and scratches and are found in contaminated water in ponds and slow-flowing rivers. "

"One expert claims the rise in cases could be partly due to more people doing adventure activities and water sports."

"British Olympic rowing champion Andy Holmes, 51, died of the infection in 2010.

It is believed he contracted the illness after racing on a waterway in Lincolnshire, where the bacteria could have entered his body through blisters on his hands."

"

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top