Join for free
Page 12 of 22 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 03:47 PM

Re: Vitamin D Defficiency and Mobility Issues in Old People

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Interesting Ruthio.

Surely the important thing here is to establish what is causing the deficiency as it could be one of many different things.
Did your GP have any ideas?

Out of interest which supplements were you prescribed or advised to get?
Yes we did all that, she's great to talk to...I don't go in the sun much as I have a very fair skin, and in the last couple of decades I've had masses of treatments to rid my skin of BCCs, squamous cells, and other skin cancers, not melanoma thank goodness (yet), all caused by years of childhood sunburn.
I use a high factor sun block as a make-up base on my face...never bother much with sun cream otherwise as I hardly go in the sun much.
Hanging out the washing on a sunny day!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 03:54 PM

I started taking a dose of Meritene every day. It's made a hell of a difference to me, feel so much more awake and ready to boogie these days. It comes in soups, shakes, and a ready mixed bottle. You can get it from Boots, Amazon or Ebay, maybe other places have it too, I just go with Amazon and often a Seller has a good deal on for a short time.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Saw GP this morning...she looked back and found my VitD was:

In 2012 May...65
In 2012 Nov...110 (after 6 months of summer plus vitD suuplement
In 2017 ...60

This month 27.

So obviously deficient.
I have a 10 week course to boost the level.

I'm happy with that.

Edit: and less of the "Old People" if you don't mind!!
Ruthio can I suggest that you get your level checked again after the winter?

According to the levels my doctor gave me
0 to 23 was severely deficient
24 to 39 was low
over 40 was normal.

My doctor prescribed 3 months of pills to treat my level of 26, and they got me back to 57.6.... yet I had been taking supplements that I had bought from Boots for the previous 6 years! She advised me to go back anytime if I felt that I had any symptoms of low Vit D & she also suggested that I take a high dose of shop bought supplements ( 25mg) daily, along with a calcium supplement... to avoid bone damage.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I started taking a dose of Meritene every day. It's made a hell of a difference to me, feel so much more awake and ready to boogie these days.

WOW Roxy

Forgive me but I wouldn't touch those products with a barge pole. Just looking at the picture of that little Yakult/Actimel style bottle there and your report that you feel like you're getting an energy boost was enough to set all the red lights and alarm bells ringing for me, so I checked the ingredients and nutrition info and sure enough my suspicions were spot on. This is just. . . .

SUGAR !!

Horrendouns amounts too.

The Strawberry flavour shakes for example, little 30g packets each contain 15g of sugar which is near enough 4 teaspoonfuls !! Sorry but that is wicked and super unhealthy for you.

Small wonder it gives you an energy boost !!

They also have artificial sweetener Saccharin on top of all that which is another huge NO NO for me.

If you keep eating those things and you will imho pile on weight pretty quickly and damage your health.

The chicken soup sachets are not as bad but still unnecessarily loaded. I mean who puts Glucose SYrup and Sugar in their soups ??? Each 50g sachet of soup contains 5g of sugar which is just over 1 teaspoonful. Plus it has colours and flaourings (E numbers)

Really not good imho
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Ruthio can I suggest that you get your level checked again after the winter?
Thanks Twink, rest assured she's going to check again after my ten week course.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 10:03 PM

@Ruthio

Did your GP also prescribe Vit K at the same time as the Vit D?

The more I learn about Vit D the more I find that it is recommended to take Vit K2 with D3 because it enable it to be absorbed and converted for use.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Yesterday, l received a letter from my surgery stating that they are no longer prescribing Vitamin D dose between 400- 1000 lU. They will only prescribe doses greater than a 1000.
They recommend that l purchase the Vitamin D from, health food stores, pharmacies, supermarkets or online.
The Fultium D3 800 IU Capsules l take are about £30 online for 30 capsules.
I really think, they want us ‘oldies’ dead!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Yesterday, l received a letter from my surgery stating that they are no longer prescribing Vitamin D dose between 400- 1000 lU. They will only prescribe doses greater than a 1000.
They recommend that l purchase the Vitamin D from, health food stores, pharmacies, supermarkets or online.
I really think, they want us ‘oldies’ dead!
Lol you think Arty ?
Its a conspiracy I tell you!!
Ive been out in the sun all this year and im still on having to take high dose Vit D ....why????
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

06-12-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Ive been out in the sun all this year and im still on having to take high dose Vit D ....why????
Really? Why are you "Having to" take Vit D supplements?

No-one can force you to take them. It is therefore your choice.

There are lots of issues around Vit D levels in our bodies. A simple analysis of how much Vit D is in your body is not really a great measure. It has a use, but it's only part of the jigsaw.

You might have good levels of Vit D in your body, but, your body might not be able to absorb it and might not be able to convert it into the substances it needs to

If you suffer from the latter issues then taking supplements isn't going to help you. It will just make it appear like you have decent Vit D intake whilst all the time your body is starved of it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

06-12-2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Are they not prescribing Vit K along with it?!

Page 12 of 22 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top