Join for free
Page 219 of 370 « First < 119 169 209 217 218 219 220 221 229 269 319 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 11:43 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Not so much 'Sorted it out' Floydy as learned to cope....'Must make sure to copy a piece before submitting it'.....

I crunched my way through a heavy frost and sub zero temperatures to have a very satisfying run yesterday.

It's a good job Wednesday is not a run day, because the rain is relentless and looks like it's here for the day....
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Nice to catch up with the gang and their activities. I got back to the gym today instead of yesterday (mum was poorly) and kept myself to just over an hour in case I started coughing my lungs up! Thankfully I didn't. I felt quite proud I got there as it has been pouring down for the last 30+ hours, but I knew I'd just be making excuses if I didn't venture out because of the weather.

Warming up with a nice cup of ginger tea with the central heating on.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 05:32 PM

Good morning! Chilly here, but it's hard to tell in the hospital. It's always a mystery why they don't have windows that open.

Just when we though we were at a cure for my daughter, the bottom dropped out and she is back in the hospital again. That's ok, I will do what I have to do to get her better; she's worth it and then some. Though I don't believe in much these days - I do believe in her.

No matter the hospital, the nursing staff is always great when I tell them I am off to run. Although I get looks like I'm an alien dressed in running gear when everyone else is decked out in surgical scrubs, I make my way to the front door where my spirits lift the moment the sun hits my shoulders and legs. I think how I will take my daughter out for some fresh air later. Why is it that we treat people like prisoners in hospitals without thinking about it? My daughter's bed and wheelchair have wheels for good reason, I think . Just try and stop me, medical people...

A hospital run starts and ends around emergency bays, landscaping around fountains and saints, and to the back of the hospital where they otherwise invisibly manage the unforgivable mountain of medical waste and incoming shipments of substandard food. Why aren't we giving people in schools and hospitals the best food on the planet, I wonder.

Breaking away from the hospital property and the noise of sirens and trucks in reverse, the world opens into a cacophony of an unnatural sort - cars, busses, and horns - of people making their way to the shopping mall and adjacent college. In frenetic pace with jaws clenched in determination, I can't figure out from my perspective why everyone is in such a hurry. My feet keep moving.

Through unfamiliar streets, jogging in place to wait for traffic signals, I see things I usually miss by car. Crows squawk and dive for bits of food, bored teenagers leave their voices behind with stickers to roadsigns announcing the band of the moment, and the people we depend on most wait patiently at the bus stop. Weirdly out of place in this urban scene, I am invisible. A few more miles pass.

Though it's the normal days I am craving, stepping out of the norm makes me see the world a little more clearly, running a little faster, and feeling the cold a little more piercingly. What a thing it is to be alive and what strange creatures we are! Five miles pass all too fast.

Back to the war.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 06:16 PM

Surfermom I'm so sorry to read about your daughter...I suppose they've/you've tried the medical cannabis oil?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 06:25 PM

Surfermom, I always miss your brilliant accounts. Runners and walkers seem to see the little things most people don't have time to dwell on, during their rush to make it through the day....

Best wishes to your daughter.....send her hugs from an old Yorkshire bloke....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-12-2018, 01:07 PM

This mornings five mile run turned out to be one of the toughest runs this year.
Still jaded from yesterday's exceptional performance, I opened the door to a pitch black rain soaked morning. With naked legs and sturdy waterproof top I threw myself out into the unknown. No spring in my step this morning as I lumbered along puddle strewn streets passing half a dozen huddled people waiting at the bus stop.

The run alongside the field was interesting, too dark to see the squelchy oozing mud, but distant streetlights reflected off the many puddles that lay in wait for the zig zagging runner and were easily avoided . The rain had all but stopped now and ribbons of light were visible across the eastern sky. As I joined the footpath in the next village I was surprised to find that I came out of the field relatively unscathed, and still had dry feet...

It was very still and eerily warm for this time of year, I left the path and squelched my way through the woods, a brief pause as I waited to cross the main road, lots of traffic at this time in the morning, one look at me, half naked and panting like a thoroughbred racehorse and most drivers would be glad they were going to work.

It was light enough to see where to put my feet as I reached the lane at three miles, it was surprising to see so many dog walkers adorning the muddy path. Plenty of 'Good mornings' kept my spirits, and style respectable as I passed by, but a glance at the sky revealed a selection of very angry clouds heading my way.

It was just as I approached an old broken down gatepost (a natural one mile to go marker) that the wind sprung up out of nowhere and the heavens opened. The cold of the rain instantly passed through my waterproof and the path turned to a river, no longer was it possible to avoid the puddles as they expanded across my path before my very eyes.

I stooped forward and battled through the swirling rain and mist, shoes long since overcome by mud and water, almost running on the spot occasionally as the wind beat against my chest. My shorts clung to my thighs as water streamed off my coat, the hood was impossible to keep in place as the wind tugged and tore at it. I was expending far too much energy to maintain any kind of a pace and jogged blindly into the swirling torrent.

With less than half a mile to go I arrived at the railway crossing and with cold numb fingers pulled open the gate and crossed the deserted line, the rain had stopped, the sound of the metal gate clanged shut and I hung on for the last quarter of a mile. I had not intended to battle with the elements to such a degree this morning, and It has taken its toll, but that hot shower was never as appreciated as it was this morning....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 04:36 PM

Hell of a run that Bob, even that you had the power to carry on amazes me which is a testament to your determination against all odds.
Love reading about your adventures in the cold wet windy wilds mate.

I'm still suffering quite badly with what looks like a terminal bad cough I blame solely on breathing in dust at work. It's worse when I try to sleep in the morning and that back of the throat tickle starts me off again and I have to spit the stuff out. Horrible.

Three weeks now since I last his the gym, with my neck pain before the cough adding to my frustration. Oddly though I haven't put on any weight though I'm looking rather 'flat' in places where I normally 'bulge'. But muscle has memory and that will return hopefully!

As I mentioned in the Good Morning thread we're out tonight for our annual dinner dance with friends and doubly celebrating Mrs. Floyd's birthday. I don't even feel like going and I'll be taking it easy with the fizzy pop. Tomorrow I really want to do some gym work but we'll see how things go.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-12-2018, 10:58 PM

Thanks Floydy, coughs are particularly annoying when you're trying to sleep, Mum used to give me butter, sugar and vinegar all mixed together, it seemed to help but there weren't so many cough medicines then...

By the time you read this you will have probably enjoyed a great night out, so please wish Mrs Floydy a very happy birthday from me.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Floydy, coughs are particularly annoying when you're trying to sleep, Mum used to give me butter, sugar and vinegar all mixed together, it seemed to help but there weren't so many cough medicines then...

By the time you read this you will have probably enjoyed a great night out, so please wish Mrs Floydy a very happy birthday from me.....
We didn't go out mate as we were both feeling crap last night and we rang the taxi at the last minute even when we dressed and ready. Not so good today either after being awake all night coughing but I'm going to see what a sauna can do. Nothing to lose really.
Thanks for your well wishes for Mrs. Floyd
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-12-2018, 04:45 PM

Saturday 8/12/18: Upper body; 1hr. 15mins.
(All weights in kilogrammes)

Well that was a surprising outcome for someone who only just physically managed to drag himself out to the car intending to visit the gym for a relaxing sauna! On setting foot in the place I thought “I feel dead to the world but since I’m here now I might as well give something a go” so I grabbed a pair of dumbbells and plonked myself on a bench and began lifting. And it wasn’t half as bad as I expected.

My strength was feeling somewhat depleted and I didn’t really have a proper routine to work from so I made up something on the spot:
Five sets just covering the bare essentials of a workout, nothing too strenuous. Beginning with three sets at an average weight but making sure I work for it by adding a number of reps each time. Then a heavier set, followed by a final very light set to finish each exercise off.

Very basic stuff for my standards and plenty of enforced rest between sets, but 75 minutes of a mediocre comeback nevertheless. And by the way the sauna was a waste of time as the heating was almost non-existent but the shower felt great.

DB bench press:
8x26’s, 10x26’s, 11x26’s
4x32’s
12x20’s

Smith shoulder press:
6x30, 7x30, 8x30
3x40
14x20

Smith flat bench press:
10x40, 12x40, 13x40
3x60
16x30
*Only managed 60kgs on the last set which is absolutely abysmal, despite my muscles kicking back into shape from somewhere. I will improve.

Chest press:
10x50, 12x50, 15x50
4x80
18x40
*Stopped pressing at this point as my neck was getting some twinges again.

Arm curl machine, alt.:
8x25, 10x25, 12x25
6x40
15x20

Pinwheel arm curl, standing, alt.:
6x12.5, 7x12.5, 8x12.5
5x15
10x10

DB curl, seated preacher bench, alt.:
6x14, 7x14, 8x14
5x18
6x12

Left it there and felt pretty satisfied I’d at least made an effort after so long away. it’s good to be back. Legs will be next on the agenda, whenever that is and then back to cardio next weekend providing I’m breathing a little better!

Thanks for reading

Page 219 of 370 « First < 119 169 209 217 218 219 220 221 229 269 319 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top