Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 07:41 PM

Re: search for second earth

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
well surely we've learned something here and have a chance NOT to? watched the last episode the other day. although of course right now it IS impossible and clearly enunciated on the script it was suggested that given progress and time the possibilities were highly probably and achievable in the future - we just had to keep trying. I guess you watched the program from a "the glass is half full or empty" mentality
This,

You have to think outside the box re space travel. Even close to light speed is not that useful considering the vast distances.

It's been theorized that a craft could be enveloped in it's own piece of space / time, effectively enabling it to travel beyond light speed. That's the fundamental theory of warp drive - you warp time & space around the craft.

Another popular theory is travelling in a series of jumps by bending time and space, as it's considered a dimensional fabric.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 08:01 PM

love your positivity fender - the reports of 'seen spacecrafts' fits your ideas - people describe them as able to move very quickly in the sky - 'one minute they were hovering over here and the next had just moved almost invisibly over to there?"
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 08:35 PM

love your positivity fender - the reports of 'seen spacecrafts' fits your ideas - people describe them as able to move very quickly in the sky - 'one minute they were hovering over here and the next had just moved almost invisibly over to there?"
Oh, I'm sure we'll find a way one day.
I studied astrophysics for a bit, but that was 25 years ago!

Some laws stand firm though - hence thinking outside the box.
For example, a craft will never match or exceed the speed of light. You could get close, but that's it.

Reason being.
A craft is mass, light is pure energy.
As you accelerate mass, it gains more effective mass. As the craft accelerates, it gets heavier requiring a more powerful engine to push it faster, as it gets faster, it gets heavier requiring a more powerful engine - ad infinitum! Therefore, you'd need an engine of infinite power, which to our current knowledge is not possible, although it has been theorized using an ion drive.

With the other methods you are kind of cheating. If you warp time and space around an object, it's no longer a mass moving through space. It's kinda like space (or energy) moving through space.
That along with bending the fabric of space, have been investigated many times and never been really discounted as being plausible.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 08:49 PM

did you ever watch the series??
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

09-09-2018, 08:54 PM

did you ever watch the series??
No mate,

Not heard of it?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

09-09-2018, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
No mate,

Not heard of it?
you wanna try to - i would think with your views you would not only enjoy it but be able to comment better than most on here!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

10-09-2018, 08:22 PM

you wanna try to - i would think with your views you would not only enjoy it but be able to comment better than most on here!
I may look it up.

Anyways, it's incredibly naieve to think that we are either alone, or other life (if found) would be primitive.

You just have to look up at the number of stars. When a sun is born, planets are a by product. There could be millions of planets in the goldilocks zone out there.
Not only that, many could be hundreds or thousands of years ahead of us in technology.

Look how things changed here in just a 100 years or so.
The first successful powered flight was circa 1903 - look at us now with supersonic jets!

When I was a teenager, you'd not even comprehend things like mobile phones & mps3 players etc.

Imagine a civilisation thousands of years ahead of us and what they may have developed!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

10-09-2018, 09:33 PM

I may look it up.

Anyways, it's incredibly naieve to think that we are either alone, or other life (if found) would be primitive.

You just have to look up at the number of stars. When a sun is born, planets are a by product. There could be millions of planets in the goldilocks zone out there.
Not only that, many could be hundreds or thousands of years ahead of us in technology.

The first successful powered flight was circa 1903 - look at us now with supersonic jets!

When I was a teenager, you'd not even comprehend things like mobile phones & mps3 players etc.

Imagine a civilisation thousands of years ahead of us and what they may have developed!
exactly - what was really exciting about the show was not all the whiz bang and glitter but the pure exuberance and enthusiasm with which the astrophycisists who were being interviewed were expressing themselves! that's what won me!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:43 PM

I may look it up.

Exactly.

All the talk at the moment, at least in the news and documentaries, is about finding life of a very primitive sort but that is considering only planets and moons in our own solar system.

There is more than a distinct possibility, in fact I believe it is a certainty, that there is advanced life somewhere much further afield and it is fascinating to consider what form those beings might take.

Science fiction films/TV programmes have even suggested that they might be of pure energy without any corporeal form, but I find that difficult to even imagine.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Exactly.

All the talk at the moment, at least in the news and documentaries, is about finding life of a very primitive sort but that is considering only planets and moons in our own solar system.

There is more than a distinct possibility, in fact I believe it is a certainty, that there is advanced life somewhere much further afield and it is fascinating to consider what form those beings might take.

Science fiction films/TV programmes have even suggested that they might be of pure energy without any corporeal form, but I find that difficult to even imagine.
They might be so advanced that we are a result of their exploration.....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top