Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 03:30 AM

Can't stand but I can walk

This is very strange, maybe one of the exerts like Floyd or someone who knows fitness can clue me in.

I can walk for at lease one hour, sometimes even two.

But I cannot stand still and gab with someone for an hour. I can only last about 10 minutes, just standing........

That is a puzzle to me. Care to enlighten me?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 08:22 AM

Re: Can't stand but I can walk

Why can't you stand WB? does your legs ache or pain?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 09:15 AM

I'm not an expert but I know when my husband had bad circulation a few years ago he couldn't stand still at all, could walk for hours and enjoy it but standing still was really awful for him.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 10:12 AM

I don't know the answer to you particular problem Blue but I do know that If I go for a brisk walk, I am fine, no aches or pains but if I go shopping with Mrs LD which always involves lots of standing around outside shops and lots of foot shuffling, I end up aching like hell.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 10:31 AM

I think it's the constant pressure on the knees and muscles when you stand. When you're moving each leg only takes the pressure for a few moments.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I don't know the answer to you particular problem Blue but I do know that If I go for a brisk walk, I am fine, no aches or pains but if I go shopping with Mrs LD which always involves lots of standing around outside shops and lots of foot shuffling, I end up aching like hell.
I'm exactly the same, standing seems to make my body ache more than walking or even running.

I'd just like to say one thing Blueberry......POSTURE.....
I read on another thread how you are having problems with backache....
As Tachyon pointed out earlier, standing in one position for any length of time tenses up the muscles and makes them ache. Whereas walking and moving keeps them supple. It could be the way you stand.... Have you thought about 'The Alexander Technique'? It can only be performed by a qualified instructor, and takes quite a while to teach your body the correct posture. Over the years, you body adopts bad habits (posture wise I mean) possibly because of injury, when you stand or sit differently to avoid pain, and your body will stop like that and put pressure on muscles elsewhere....

Massage would provide temporary relief and remove stress from affected muscles.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I think it's the constant pressure on the knees and muscles when you stand. When you're moving each leg only takes the pressure for a few moments.
This.
All of our bodyweight is directed below us when we are standing up. When we sit or are laying down we are relaxed.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
This.
All of our bodyweight is directed below us when we are standing up. When we sit or are laying down we are relaxed.
Good point Floydy, when a body is moving (walking or running) lower back muscles are constantly being flexed and relaxed to maintain balance. But when we are static, the lower back muscles are permanently tensed to maintain a stationary upright attitude, so they get tired and ache.....simples..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 10:33 PM

I can't stand still on the spot for longer than 5 minutes as I get the most painful backache which makes me feel as if I'm going to faint.

We visited the Houses of Parliament a few years ago and had a guided tour throughout. In the main Hall our guide was giving us the history of years gone by and it came to a point when I just had to sit down or drop so I made my way across the hall and sat on one of the plush green seats I couldn't continue with the tour so we made our own way round making sure we didn't stop looking at things for too long.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 12:20 AM

Well, by the looks of these replies this is more common than I thought. It is the back that hurts when I stand still. And like you say Mags, I feel like I could faint if I don't sit down.....

Thanks for all your replies. I will pay more attention to my posture and see if that needs to be corrected somehow.....
Or just keep walking.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top