Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 06:35 PM

Re: Irritating Soggy Bottoms!

Originally Posted by Azure ->
I use my fan oven for all oven cooking and never have Pies with soggy bottoms

They are put on a baking tray first.with or without foil.

Thanks Azure. I am definitely going to give this a go. One learns something new every day. If it works, you will have my utmost thanks. x
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I treated myself to a copper coated oven rack/tray combo set from QVC. The rack actually looks like a large rectangular chip basket about 12" x 8" The grid is about a quarter inch and has legs on it to raise above the tray. I cook everything on it now especially pork steaks, chicken drumsticks and Quorn nuggets as they won't be swimming in their own fat as they cook. Everything has cooked perfectly thus far. Haven't tried it on pies (can't have them any more. sniff ) but have used on pizzas in a moment of weakness and they come out nice and crisp on the bottom.
Can you cook cornflakes on it?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Can you cook cornflakes on it?
What? From scratch?

I have made a crispy coating using crunched up cornflakes seasoned with salt and ground black pepper on chicken drumsticks if that's any good.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 10:28 PM

SG now you have tempted me to buy some Pukka Pies to see if I get a soggy bottom!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 10:48 PM

Well I did mention the preheated tray way back when but was ignored

Ho hum
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
What? From scratch?

I have made a crispy coating using crunched up cornflakes seasoned with salt and ground black pepper on chicken drumsticks if that's any good.
I will try that. Thanks Judd.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 12:40 AM

Fan ovens do not produce saggy bottoms

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Is that really true Azure? does that include a pie in a foil case as well. I have a double oven, one of which is a fan assisted oven. But hardly ever use it! I never knew that!
I use my fan oven for all oven cooking and never have Pies with soggy bottoms

They are put on a baking tray first.with or without foil.

I never had soggy bottoms either with my fan oven. I don't bake either I buy ready made & follow the instruction for cooking them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 06:50 AM

I like Pukka pies I always microwave them
( Take the tin foil off them )
They do come out a little soggy I love it I don't like the dry crisp effect on pastry .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Ladies & Gentlemen, I never suffer from 'soggy bottoms' with my pies, as I purchase mine already cooked - have sometimes burnt my fingers as have purchased pies that have come straight out of the oven.

You'll all have to find yourselves a decent pie shop like this one, which is just down the road from me and I frequent this establish regularly.

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz_photos/bangers-brighton
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Well I did mention the preheated tray way back when but was ignored

Ho hum
No you weren't, see post number three.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top