Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 11:00 PM

Windows Snipping Tool not working

Windows 10 Snipping Tool has suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason.
I can use the snipping tool and select an area, which then appears in the box. The problem is that I cannot save it or copy and paste it. There is just no reaction at all.

I have not made any changes to the computer and I can think of only one possible reason why this may have happened.

Call me paranoid, but I have managed to avoid Windows Updates for several weeks now by listing my connection as metered, and I wonder whether Microsoft is attempting to 'pay me back' for doing that!

I have received regular messages with wording to the effect that I have (?)lost my Microsoft account, which I have always ignored. Recalling this, I opened my Microsoft account to check whether it is still active. It is, but Snipping Tool still fails to function properly.

I can still use Print Screen and copy from the clipboard, but this is less convenient.

Does anyone have any suggestions for restoring this facility, please?
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 11:16 PM

Re: Windows Snipping Tool not working

Working here but apparently it's changing. And I do allow updates.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 11:21 PM

Hi JB my tool is working but I haven't used it in ages and it looks different .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 11:30 PM

Thank you both.

It looks like my suspicions may have some foundation!

If such is the case, it appears that I have two choices:
- permit Windows Updates, or
- use Print Screen
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 12:53 AM

I can't suggest a reason why the snipper has stopped working but I've never been impressed with it. One thing I nearly always need to do with screen captures is add text, arrows and boxes. That's something that the Windows snipping tool can't do.

As you say, it is always possible to use the Print Screen key to capture the screen or active Window, then paste the contents into an editing program to create and annotate the image.

A better way might be to use a third-party screen capturing program that has a few more features than the Windows snipping tool. There are a number available but one I've found good is PicPick. Below is a screen capture I've just done with it.

https://picpick.app/en/download/ (free or paid versions available)
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Working here but apparently it's changing. And I do allow updates.
Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi JB my tool is working but I haven't used it in ages and it looks different .
I am up-to-date with Windows 10 (1809) on this PC and I have the old Snipping Tool and the new Snip & Sketch - both are working OK.

To see if both are available:

Select the Start button, type snip in the search box on the taskbar, and then select one or the other from the list of results.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
A better way might be to use a third-party screen capturing program that has a few more features than the Windows snipping tool. There are a number available but one I've found good is PicPick. Below is a screen capture I've just done with it.

That's an excellent tool .....

I'll give it a go .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 05:40 AM

For reasons that are beyond me I thought the title of this thread was

Whipper Snipper Tool not working

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I can't suggest a reason why the snipper has stopped working but I've never been impressed with it. One thing I nearly always need to do with screen captures is add text, arrows and boxes. That's something that the Windows snipping tool can't do.

As you say, it is always possible to use the Print Screen key to capture the screen or active Window, then paste the contents into an editing program to create and annotate the image.

Thanks. I'll try that. The free version!

I've downloaded it and pleased that it works.

Unfortunately, I'm finding it a bit fiddly. To open it: right click\more\run as administrator\Yes\Region

Perhaps there are ways around this. I'll have to explore it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-11-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I am up-to-date with Windows 10 (1809) on this PC and I have the old Snipping Tool and the new Snip & Sketch - both are working OK.

To see if both are available:

Select the Start button, type snip in the search box on the taskbar, and then select one or the other from the list of results.
Tried that, thanks. I only have the old Snipping Tool, and it still won't save.

If a new one has been brought out, and I haven't acquired it (because WU is disabled), perhaps that's why the old one doesn't work now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top