Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Re: Suggestions for safe chewy toys please

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Don't some of the childrens toys also have hundreds of those tiny polystyrene 'beads' as stuffing as well, Julie?

It' like I said really, animals and small children treat toys differently, so I personally, would rather play safe.

You'd have no come-back on the manufacturer anyway if they made an animal ill, as they weren't designed for that purpose.
Not found that mups the ones designed for tiny tots are about as safe as you can get as they don't want to choke the hoomans. Obviously I check them out for problems and only give things I consider safe.

We had a plastic ball for years our previous chihuahua loved, it had tiny balls inside but the outer cage of plastic was so tough she never got into it.
I wouldn't have let our terriers at it as they would have got it apart. It's a case of selecting right toy for each dog IMO

Betty chi is scared of squeakers but Elsie lab loves them, so we have tiny tennis balls designed for cats or ferrets I think for Betty and Elsie has tough Kong tennis balls.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not found that mups the ones designed for tiny tots are about as safe as you can get as they don't want to choke the hoomans. Obviously I check them out for problems and only give things I consider safe.

We had a plastic ball for years our previous chihuahua loved, it had tiny balls inside but the outer cage of plastic was so tough she never got into it.
I wouldn't have let our terriers at it as they would have got it apart. It's a case of selecting right toy for each dog IMO

Betty chi is scared of squeakers but Elsie lab loves them, so we have tiny tennis balls designed for cats or ferrets I think for Betty and Elsie has tough Kong tennis balls.

Totally agree with the hi-lighted bit Julie. Spot on.
Even with my Beddies, I have some some destructive chewers and some who keep a toy for ever.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 11:12 AM

Totally agree with the hi-lighted bit Julie. Spot on.
Even with my Beddies, I have some some destructive chewers and some who keep a toy for ever.
Yes it's not breed specific really is it, I've had big dog Mollie retriever never chewed a thing after she had teethed, so could have almost anything and would gently carry it around with her, tried her with eggs and she never broke one. Whereas my friends retriever was a destroyer of all toys nothing lasted more than minutes.

Most destructive dog I ever had was a Manchester terrier nothing was safe from her She looked so innocent but we knew better living with her.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 11:46 AM

Hi MC, you don't say how big these dogs are, or how long you are looking after them for?

Personally, I would say most soft toys for robust chewers are a waste of money, but strong toys and chews don't come cheap.
That is why I wondered if you are only looking after these dogs for a few days, is it worth spending a lot?

I agree with Julie about the Kong toys, and they do a range for extra strong chewers.
Also the correct size Nylabone are pretty long lasting too.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...oups/nylabone-

I would definitely avoid soft toys with squeakers that excite them. The dog will make a hole and have the squeaker out before you can blink.

Pets at Home also sell portions of Deer antlers, again expensive, but practically impossible to destroy.
They also sell Buffalo horn.

Personally I avoid the cooked bone treats, but that is only what I do for my own dogs. Cooked bones can splinter.

Have you considered some raw marrowbone from the butchers? The butcher will usually saw it up for you if you smile sweetly, and the dog will spend hours getting the marrow out, and clean their teeth at the same time.

Best of luck.
Excellent post. Julie’s Kong idea is really good but those are very expensive.

Cheap squeaky toys can be a complete waste of money.
One dog treat you should avoid like the plague are rawhide treats. These can get stuck in your dogs stomach and cause the stomach and intestines to twist and turn causing a very painful death to your beloved pet. I know because we lost one from this very reason. I kicked myself afterwards for years; still do
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 11:49 AM

Chicken necks - only a couple of dollars a kilo so you get heaps.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->

One dog treat you should avoid like the plague are rawhide treats. These can get stuck in your dogs stomach and cause the stomach and intestines to twist and turn and cause a very painful death to your beloved pet. I know because we lost one from this very reason. I kicked myself afterwards for years; still do

Good point, Bratti. I woud never allow my dogs to have those for just the reasons you say.

I don't know why they're still allowed to sell them even.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

19-11-2018, 11:53 AM

One dog treat you should avoid like the plague are rawhide treats. These can get stuck in your dogs stomach and cause the stomach and intestines to twist and turn causing a very painful death to your beloved pet. I know because we lost one from this very reason. I kicked myself afterwards for years; still do
They are expensive but we look for sales on Amazon etc to get a couple at a time and they pay dividends in that they do last. A 50p tennis ball two days a Kong one for £2 is going on and on its more than paid its way IMO
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 11:57 AM

Good point, Bratti. I woud never allow my dogs to have those for just the reasons you say.

I don't know why they're still allowed to sell them even.
I don’t either. I was sooooo shocked to lose my beautiful pet this way. Totally heart breaking. I loved that dog more than anything else the world had to offer and would do anything to change that one day.

Please take note and don’t feed your dogs rawhide
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

19-11-2018, 12:02 PM

I don’t either. I was sooooo shocked to lose my beautiful pet this way. Totally heart breaking. I loved that dog more than anything else the world had to offer and would do anything to change that one day.

Please take note and don’t feed your dogs rawhide
I've never fancied them they come from China where dog welfare isn't exactly at the front of their minds. Odd colours too again not sure I want mine ingesting that.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

19-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They are expensive but we look for sales on Amazon etc to get a couple at a time and they pay dividends in that they do last. A 50p tennis ball two days a Kong one for £2 is going on and on its more than paid its way IMO
Totally agree. We bought a huge one for my friends dog that’s part St. Bernard , part Great Pyrenees. It gave the dog great entertainment that was safe while they were away at work.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	34D8CFED-2D2C-4EA8-823C-3759255B29D6.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	8009   Click image for larger version

Name:	2D881AA2-EC36-4A21-A62B-4FCC25350D5F.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	8010  

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top