Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 09:57 PM

IBM Security Rapport / Chrome-extension

What the heck is this? It blocks some of the webpages I want to access - nothing suspicious as far as I can see........including a BBC news item!!

Any suggestions on that?

It happens on my Windows 8.1 computer

............the squeaky NEW Windows 10 computer has a total hard drive failure........and has been sent back to Currys!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 11:15 PM

Re: IBM Security Rapport / Chrome-extension

My bank also offer Rapport to its customers.

I declined, naturally.

Basically it's just a re-routing mechanism. Every webpage you want to visit first goes through another portal which then passes you to your webpage. The idea they try to sell you is that by having that intermediary portal in place they can protect you if your chosen web page is hooky.

The truth is that all they are doing is routing all your internet activity through their server so they can collect tons of data about what you do and use that to serve ads and so on.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 11:40 PM

If it's an extension, it should be possible to disable it.

Go into Chrome's options (three vertical dots in the top right-hand corner of the browser), go to 'More Tools' then 'Extensions'.

If the extension is listed in the window that shows, you should be able to disable it by using the small blue slider switch. You might be able to remove it in that area too ..but just disable it for now to see if this cures the problem.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 09:51 AM

Excellent. Thanks very much. Hopefully that will put paid to the issue.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 11:09 AM

Stupidly I always thought computers would become easier to use as they became more popular but they persist in making things more difficult to use don't they !
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 01:33 PM

My bank (RBS) recommended I install Rapport. My computer became very slow and almost unworkable. I could not go to many of my usual sites so I got rid of it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Stupidly I always thought computers would become easier to use as they became more popular but they persist in making things more difficult to use don't they !
As with all things they know that most people won't do the necessary research into things and will just go with the flow which makes them highly exploitable.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Which magazine advice is worth reading:-

https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-...steer-Rapport-

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top