Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 05:22 PM

New Windows 10 HP Laptop

Bought on 30 December 2017. Hard Disk failure about two weeks ago so sent back to Currys who have sent it to HP for replacement hard disk under warranty.

Just had a call from them to say the case has been damaged which has negated my warranty. It will cost £50 to repair the case and £100 for a new hard disk.

It certainly hasn't been damaged by me and the shop which serviced it recently and told me the hard disk had failed, assured me they hadn't opened the case..........

Is this a ploy by HP to wriggle out of a warranty claim? Any advice?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 05:37 PM

Re: New Windows 10 HP Laptop

Yep

But if your PC HAS had a hard knock then they have a case
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yep

But if your PC HAS had a hard knock then they have a case
Yes, they have but I may have problems proving the case didn't have any damage when I returned it to Curry's.
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 06:45 PM

You probably have nothing to lose to argue with them a bit, insist it was not damaged when you returned it and if they don't give a bit, ask them to prove you delivered it with damage. If you had, Curry's should have noticed and said something presumably?
Lindyloo
isle of wight

25-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by effingpot ->
You probably have nothing to lose to argue with them a bit, insist it was not damaged when you returned it and if they don't give a bit, ask them to prove you delivered it with damage. If you had, Curry's should have noticed and said something presumably?
I wish I'd inspected it and taken photos before taking it back to Curry's, but if the service shop did in fact open it, I assume that's a case of taking some screws out......and putting them back - not actual damage. You've got a point though that Curry's should have noticed damage and said something.

If it turns out the shop did unscrew it........and this turns out to be the "damage".........the shop denied it when asked, so would probably do so again. None of that helps me though. How hard (and expensive) is it to buy a new hard disk and fit it?
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I wish I'd inspected it and taken photos before taking it back to Curry's, but if the service shop did in fact open it, I assume that's a case of taking some screws out......and putting them back - not actual damage. You've got a point though that Curry's should have noticed damage and said something.

If it turns out the shop did unscrew it........and this turns out to be the "damage".........the shop denied it when asked, so would probably do so again. None of that helps me though. How hard (and expensive) is it to buy a new hard disk and fit it?

Youtube video how to:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=650mXGa-kDY

Cost can be about £30
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Bought on 30 December 2017. Hard Disk failure about two weeks ago so sent back to Currys who have sent it to HP for replacement hard disk under warranty.

Just had a call from them to say the case has been damaged which has negated my warranty. It will cost £50 to repair the case and £100 for a new hard disk.

It certainly hasn't been damaged by me and the shop which serviced it recently and told me the hard disk had failed, assured me they hadn't opened the case..........

Is this a ploy by HP to wriggle out of a warranty claim? Any advice?
Question 1. Has any other servicer had reason to go inside the Laptop? e.g. To fit more memory, or a different disk?
Reason I ask is that, if the screws are removed, you could lose your warranty as well. Some firms have a label on the back which conceals one of the cover screws - so they would know.

Question 2. (Most Important IMO) Why didn't Curries inspect the device and point out any damage when you took it back?
Reason I ask is that if they didn't point out any damage, legally there wasn't any damage.

I'd write to them saying that you were going to raise the issue with Trading Standards.

Then I'd ask them if they minded some investigating Company (say a computer magazine) interviewing them about this grievance.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 03:16 PM

HP ….IMO I would never ever again have another PC from these people they have a terrible record for customer service, when I complained about their service they replied < take us to court> this is after my PC went back to them 8 times in its first year...
Lindyloo
isle of wight

27-11-2018, 03:44 PM

Apologies for late response. Update to this thread is that I've looked at the Service Summary and Service Docket given to me when I returned the laptop to Curry's and it's condition is described as "good/used". The answerphone message definitely said "damage" to the case but until I go back to Curry's I have no idea if it's damage or they've found someone has unscrewed something - if it's the latter I'll be having a few sharp words with the service shop who told me they had definitely not unscrewed it! They are the only possible people who could have done that.......... some great ideas re Trading Standards and an investigating company........ but at the end of the day I may as well put my energy into resolving the problem rather than screaming and shouting about it............as unless there are positive signs of actual damage to the computer, which weren't there when Curry's took it back for repair............I think all parties involved will deny involvement! I'm now looking for someone with the knowhow (and NOT Team KNOWHOW)to provide me with a new hard drive and fit it........
Lindyloo
isle of wight

27-11-2018, 06:05 PM

FURTHER UPDATE - phone call from Curry's to say the laptop has now been received by them. The damage is apparently a hairline fracture on the side (so small it would not have been noticed by staff when sent in for repair!!!!...... and which is deemed to be responsible for damaging the hard drive!!
Foregone conclusion really!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top