Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 08:13 PM

Re: Heating your home safely

I have a combi boiler - in my garage, which is attached to the house and has a connecting door. My sense of smell is excellent and there are times when I'm sure I can smell smoke or fumes in the garage. I have a carbon monoxide alarm and a smoke alarm very close to the boiler and there's always a small draught from under the garage door. But if I could smell that inside my home, I would be extremely worried.
You must make sure you have some ventilation fairly close to the boiler - and get those alarms.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 08:35 PM

Floyd, get some radiator humidifiers. Cheap enough, all different designs and materials, but basically you fill with water, hang over the rads and the water evaporates into the air adding much needed moisture

I too can abide central heating
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 10:04 PM

Floydy your symptoms are akin to what's known as "cabin cough" on cruise ships.

Grab a small hand towel, soak it with water, squeeze out most of the water so it won't drip.

Hang the damp towel on a coat hanger and hang it somewhere near your bed. It will make a big difference.

I too am suffering very dry throat during the nights at the moment resulting in coughing and it also coincided with central heating which in our case we have programmed to come on early in the morning.

The towel trick has always been useful.

ETA:

I am also a believer that we should always have one bedroom window slightly open to allow fresh air to enter and circulate. Important for health.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Floyd, get some radiator humidifiers. Cheap enough, all different designs and materials, but basically you fill with water, hang over the rads and the water evaporates into the air adding much needed moisture

I too can abide central heating
This, Missy, is a great idea I'll look into it, thanks
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Floydy your symptoms are akin to what's known as "cabin cough" on cruise ships.

Grab a small hand towel, soak it with water, squeeze out most of the water so it won't drip.

Hang the damp towel on a coat hanger and hang it somewhere near your bed. It will make a big difference.

I too am suffering very dry throat during the nights at the moment resulting in coughing and it also coincided with central heating which in our case we have programmed to come on early in the morning.

The towel trick has always been useful.

ETA:

I am also a believer that we should always have one bedroom window slightly open to allow fresh air to enter and circulate. Important for health.
Back off 'ignore' for this...
Sounds good too, and it looks like you've actually done that from experience rather than from an internet idea I will give it a go in the morning.
Leaving a window open though wouldn't be possible as I mentioned earlier. Too much daytime noise.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I have a combi boiler - in my garage, which is attached to the house and has a connecting door. My sense of smell is excellent and there are times when I'm sure I can smell smoke or fumes in the garage. I have a carbon monoxide alarm and a smoke alarm very close to the boiler and there's always a small draught from under the garage door. But if I could smell that inside my home, I would be extremely worried.
You must make sure you have some ventilation fairly close to the boiler - and get those alarms.
Both CO and C02 are odorless
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I need to recheck the instructions for mine in that case Mups. I have mine on top of the boiler. Thanks.

See how helpful this forum can be.

Here you go Dongle, I found this from the "Which" magazine.

Where to install your carbon monoxide detector

Fit your alarm high-up in the same room as the potential source of carbon monoxide, around 15cm from the ceiling and at least one metre away from boilers, cookers and fires. But make sure it’s not directly above a source of heat or steam. It doesn't need to be fixed to a wall, and a shelf is often suitable.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/carb...xide-detectors - Which?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 02:00 AM

Floydy it sounds as though you have low levels of humidity in the air when the heating is on. Try a portable humidifier.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top