Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 04:30 PM

Re: Pensioner Poverty

Originally Posted by Realist ->
That, I'm afraid, is the result of believing the State, the "system" and not taking personal responsibility for your life. People have to wake up and stop being Sheeple. Some wake up early, others don't. Some never wake up.
LOL that is fine if you are able. great for you obviously.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 04:40 PM

Well I paid my taxes and NI for well over 50 years without missing once. Some of that went towards my state pension ,so I recon I am entitled to it
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We were talking about the state pension of course private pensions aren't included in what I said. I sometimes wonder what members actually read in posts because it was clear I thought.
I could say the same to you Julie. Both of my posts made it clear that I was talking about personal or works pensions....but anybody could have one if they were prepared to put their own money in whilst working.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 05:20 PM

OK have a State pension which I paid in for over my working life

Ok have private pension which being self employed I paid in for and no others did

Both come to about £700 a month.

My private pension could have been more than the £200 a month I receive now but Brown stole 35 Billion off working peoples private pensions to pay for what ever

So I started to put the money I earned into an ISA.

Have never claimed a penny in benefits so it does not effect me so didims
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 06:41 PM

I never really knew anything about private pensions until it was too late.
The problem is that people on low wages don't have enough money to invest in private pensions .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I could say the same to you Julie. Both of my posts made it clear that I was talking about personal or works pensions....but anybody could have one if they were prepared to put their own money in whilst working.
I wasn't referring to your posts twink I knew what you meant. I was I thought clear I meant state pensions, how would taking private ones even be possible ?? If people have been lucky enough to have a private pension, you won't find many part time cleaners be able to afford one BTW then that's absolutely fine but I then think people who haven't been that lucky should possibly have enough to live on too. Not a great amount but having food, heating etc might be nice for them.

That is all anyone needs, enough to live. If we can't provide that now then we have to think of other ways to do it and taking from the richer pensioners the state pension and giving that to the poorer ones feels right to me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

11-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I never really knew anything about private pensions until it was too late.
The problem is that people on low wages don't have enough money to invest in private pensions .
Exactly it's been too late and can't afford it for many of us.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 01:48 PM

I appreciate that some people couldn't afford private or works pensions, but not a huge number of people!

Those who worked for large companies were expected to join the works pension fund, where some of their wage was taken each payday, as their contribution ( they always knew how much that would be and they got tax benefits because they didn't pay tax on that part of their income). I started paying towards my pension at the age of 21, when I was earning £17 a week and had a mortgage to pay!

There were lots of jobs in those days, so married men working in a long term job usually had a pension that transferred to his wife, in the event of his death.

Do you really think it is fair that, those who didn't try to save for their old age, should now be able to lower the standard of living of those who did? Don't forget that those who did provide a personal pension had to pay for it and still contribute to the state pension...but get a lower state pension than those who didn't provide a personal or work pension.

We all pay the same price for food and heating, so why should those who saved to provide for their old age have to do without, to provide for those who didn't?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I appreciate that some people couldn't afford private or works pensions, but not a huge number of people!

Those who worked for large companies were expected to join the works pension fund, where some of their wage was taken each payday, as their contribution ( they always knew how much that would be and they got tax benefits because they didn't pay tax on that part of their income). I started paying towards my pension at the age of 21, when I was earning £17 a week and had a mortgage to pay!

There were lots of jobs in those days, so married men working in a long term job usually had a pension that transferred to his wife, in the event of his death.

Do you really think it is fair that, those who didn't try to save for their old age, should now be able to lower the standard of living of those who did? Don't forget that those who did provide a personal pension had to pay for it and still contribute to the state pension...but get a lower state pension than those who didn't provide a personal or work pension.

We all pay the same price for food and heating, so why should those who saved to provide for their old age have to do without, to provide for those who didn't?

Not all jobs or all employers had pension schemes and even those that did quite often took 'pension holidays' from the fund or plundered the pension funds for other nefarious purposes - remember Robert Maxwell???
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

11-12-2018, 02:06 PM

Not everyone had jobs paid enough to save for pensions it doesn't matter how many jobs were available they just didn't earn enough. I feel like I saved the country hundreds of thousands over the years looking after people in my family who could have gone into care situations paid for by the state. But that meant I couldn't earn enough to live on too and certainly not enough to save. My husband has always had manual jobs none paid enough to save really, we couldn't have worked harder or longer so why should we have a poverty pension just because life didn't send us into employment that gave us enough to live and save ?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top