Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 08:18 PM

My beloved dog has a tumour

My dog has had what the vets called 'warts' for a couple of years. Yesterday I noticed one of them had grown a lot and he had scratched it causing it to bleed. My husband took him to the vets tonight and the vet has now said it is a tumour. He is having the operation on Friday.

Sadly we stopped paying pet insurance as the premium had gone up to £60 per month and we just couldn't afford it and anyway half the time you aren't covered for some things anyway. When we first took out the insurance it was £8 per month and over the years it went up and up. He is now over 11 years old.

The operation is £120 for the tumour removing and if we want diagnosis its and extra £70. I'm hoping it is benign but if we pay the extra and it turns out it is malignant I doubt there would be much they could do for him.

We are so frightened as he is part of our little family and we love him as a child and of course we don't want to lose him.

He doesn't seem to have any ill effects and is still like a young dog running round, going crazy when I come home etc.

I'm so worried about the anaesthetic but I understand the tumour needs to be removed as it could end up with a severe infection if he keeps scratching it. It's at the top of his front left leg so he can't bite it but he does keep scratching it.

I'm praying I'm not going to lose my fur baby, he is so loved by us and is such a wonderful little character and so funny.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 08:51 PM

Re: My beloved dog has a tumour

Sorry to hear about your dog, LQ! I hope all goes well on Friday, and he recovers well. Sending hugs to you all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 08:52 PM

Hi LC , that is news any dog owner doesn't want to hear .

Still it's not all bad news, some malignant tumours can be 'peeled out' without causing secondaries. Chemotherapy for dogs can be very effective and doesn't have the same side effects it has in humans.

Chloe has many tumours, they are benign lipoma (fatty tissue)
thank goodness.
I hope your little dog will be ok.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 08:59 PM

LQ
I feel for you.
Wishing you and your beloved canine companion positive results.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 09:00 PM

Ohhhhh I'm so sorry to read this, I hate when any of the animals are ill, I really hope it all goes well for him and this will just be a wee hiccup. Give him a big hug from me. I'll be thinking of him.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 09:25 PM

I feel really sad for you LQ and I really hope that everything goes well for your Dog on Friday, try looking on the bright side and hope that its not Cancer, which i'm sure its not. Thinking of you.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 10:25 PM

Sending healing thoughts to you and your dog, Lion Queen - hope all goes well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 10:53 PM

Queenie, I can well imagine how worried you are, but try not to fear the worst. I do think Meg's advice is sound and sensible.

Personally, I think I would probably have the biopsy done if I could afford it, as I would rather know one way or the other, than be wondering for ever more.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if it was non-malignant and you could relax again.

Fingers crossed for you all on Friday. Stay strong.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 11:25 PM

So sorry to read your news LQ, I hope all goes well for him on Friday.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 11:37 PM

Will be thinking of you and your dog on Friday LQ> I really do hope it all goes well. I'm sure everything will be fine x

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top