Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 02:30 PM

Re: Unruly dogs

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Head collars are a good idea nicol you can get harnesses too if they don't tolerate a head harness.
That’s what I’d recommend. They are called Halties here and do work very well at controlling your dog. You end up controlling your dog from the head which makes a huge difference. They can not pull you this way. We trained our last German Shepherd on one of these and it made a huge difference on the pulling aspect.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Teddy is taught that pulling results in me stooping and him having to sit until i decide to go. He also doesn't get to his desired location. I might try Tessa's suggestion of going in a circle too but it's cats that really get him in a rage and his behavioural achilles heel.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
At puppy classes we wete told to turn amd walk the other way or in a tight circle when dogs pull, it confuses them also they get to know that if they're pulling towards something they want, such as an interesting smell, they won't get there if they pull.
Clickers and treat methods are good for distracting them too.

Still, what do I know?
My advice gets ignored all the time.
I was told that too and I don't know whether it was Elsie being a bit brain damaged or me not doing it right but I have ended up with a dog whirls round in excitement at odd moments.

I read everything you post Tess sometimes it's too good to add to. it's not being ignored at all !
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 07:33 PM

Haha, Julie. I know how you feel. I'm fairly sure that two of my dogs are "special".

I've had good luck with the training collars mentioned too.

With a regular leash, every time the dog pulls, I was also taught like TessA to quickly change directions with the dog. I've also found that training at home or close to home, keeps them from being distracted.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 07:45 PM

At puppy classes we wete told to turn amd walk the other way or in a tight circle when dogs pull, it confuses them also they get to know that if they're pulling towards something they want, such as an interesting smell, they won't get there if they pull.
Clickers and treat methods are good for distracting them too.

Still, what do I know?
My advice gets ignored all the time.
I'm reading your good advice Tess but I'm afraid it's useless to me as I haven't got a dog
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm reading your good advice Tess but I'm afraid it's useless to me as I haven't got a dog

Aah, but you will have when I put Gertie on the train.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Aah, but you will have when I put Gertie on the train.
when, when?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Well, I managed to turn a timid, weird little un-housetrained, two year old dog into a confident, trained, loving (yet still weird) dog in nine months so I must be doing something right!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

14-12-2018, 08:05 PM

Well, I managed to turn a timid, weird little un-housetrained, two year old dog into a confident, trained, loving (yet still weird) dog in nine months so I must be doing something right!
Well done Tess
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 08:34 AM

Thank you all for your posts. I am working through them and making some notes of ideas.
These are two nice little dogs who I love dearly, they are only being fostered by me while my daughter finds a new home but I dont want to talk anymore about that.
They may be with me for a while and with them belonging to my daughter I am being extra cautious with them.
It would be a bit awkward when giving them both back to my daughter and with a small box saying, " And in here is one of Diego ears and Peaches tail. Also I have to admit that I have been a little too soft with them as well at the begining.
The other problem I think is I compare them to Slick my greyhound who walked brilliantly on the lead, loved meeting other dogs and was completely trustworthy with people and children. Maybe I was just lucky with him and need to judge these two differently.
I'm walking them miles, which is really good for me as well, both in the park, and the dog run, when its empty, and also into and around town to get them used to all the things going on. I have even taken them to a local pub that sells speciality beers and that welcomes dogs, Its was terrible job but someone had to do it 😁
I also take them for night walks in the park when its all empty and thats the best as theres no other dogs around.
Thanks again, as I said I am making notes of your suggestions as when they do go back to my daughter I want to give them back much better behaved than they are now.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top