Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 05:11 AM

Old Recipes

Back in 1970 I was a Quality Control supervisor at a Unilever factory in Hastings, New Zealand. They had a library of many food related books some very old. From a recipe for "Thick Fruit Sauce" dated 20th November 1882. :-

Vinegar 36 gallons
Onions 36lbs
Molasses 25lbs
Tapioca 18lbs
Dates 6½lbs
Caramel 4¼lbs
Garlic 4¼lbs
Salt 4½lbs
Lemon Pulp 2½lbs
Ground Ginger 1lb
Ground Coriander ½lb
Ground Nutmeg ½lb

Hope you've got a big saucepan!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 05:30 AM

Re: Old Recipes

Tapioca? In a sauce? Very strange. Sounds like a really rich fruity sauce, Ciderman - would love to taste it but, perhaps, not in that quantity !

Any more little gems for us?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 08:03 AM

My mum used to have Mrs Beetons Book of Household Management first published in 1861 it was full of tips and recipes. I used to thumb through it as a child. I have no idea where she got it from or what happened to it when she died. I'd love to read it through again.

It had some very interesting old recipes and tips on household chores I remember she advised vinegar and newspaper to clean windows
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Tapioca? In a sauce? Very strange. Sounds like a really rich fruity sauce, Ciderman - would love to taste it but, perhaps, not in that quantity !

Any more little gems for us?
And garlic?

I often wonder why some of these ingredients are necessary.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
My mum used to have Mrs Beetons Book of Household Management first published in 1861 it was full of tips and recipes. I used to thumb through it as a child. I have no idea where she got it from or what happened to it when she died. I'd love to read it through again.

It had some very interesting old recipes and tips on household chores I remember she advised vinegar and newspaper to clean windows
I have a newer copy of that Summer, from the 1970s, and I have to say that Newspaper & vinegar do a good job of cleaning windows....although I use kitchen towel, because it is easier to hold!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I have a newer copy of that Summer, from the 1970s, and I have to say that Newspaper & vinegar do a good job of cleaning windows....although I use kitchen towel, because it is easier to hold!
I don't know if you have ever read up on Mrs Beeton Twinks, I did recently I thought she would be an older lady and very experienced running her own house and kitchen....turns out her name was Isabella ...she was a gentlewoman with servants and she died quite young about 29 I think. Not what I expected at all.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I don't know if you have ever read up on Mrs Beeton Twinks, I did recently I thought she would be an older lady and very experienced running her own house and kitchen....turns out her name was Isabella ...she was a gentlewoman with servants and she died quite young about 29 I think. Not what I expected at all.
Yes I only recently heard that, and it was a shock to me.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

13-09-2018, 08:39 AM

I love looking through the Mrs Beeton books. I have two books one 50 years old which was given to me new as a present plus still got a much older one on household management that was my grandmothers. Both of which are in storage along with several hundred other cook books.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

13-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
I love looking through the Mrs Beeton books. I have two books one 50 years old which was given to me new as a present plus still got a much older one on household management that was my grandmothers. Both of which are in storage along with several hundred other cook books.
Lucky thing Panda
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 09:06 AM

I have a bound collection of Family Herald a magazine from 1891 there's lots of recipes in it, if you'd like I'll post some later but don't want to take over the op thread

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top