Join for free
Page 35 of 370 « First < 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 05:05 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
It might help a bit unsure.
I'm one of those people who never gets muscly

I thought making the decking might get me looking fitter but even though it was quite heavy work and took a day or three ... nope.
If you can do all of that, you must be quite fit. Fitness is a lot to do with having the energy and strength to do such jobs without puffing and blowing with the effort it takes. I'd say it is possible to be fit without it showing.

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Good post, Mart.
I think if you keep to a moderately active lifestyle, it should keep the niggles at bay and prolong health and fitness.

Moving a pile of earth from one place to another reminds me of the old American jail regime of moving rocks back and forth. Ever see that excellent film "The Last Castle" with Robert Redford starring in it?

Keep it up, Mart
Thanks Floydy. I have seen that film. Also seen one called 'The Hill' where military prisoners have to carry bags of sand up a hill. It reminds me a bit of that too. Maybe we should have similar in our back gardens.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
If you can do all of that, you must be quite fit. Fitness is a lot to do with having the energy and strength to do such jobs without puffing and blowing with the effort it takes. I'd say it is possible to be fit without it showing
.. but would like it to show

I tend not to go completely mad at it but if I decide to do something I WILL do it, however long it takes and I will puff and blow, stop to regain vigour etc.

'The Hill' .... wasn't that with Sean Connery and Harry Andrews ?

One I seem to remember about doing pointless tasks was 'Cool Hand Luke' (Paul Newman).
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 07:14 PM

'The Hill' was Sean Connery and Harry Andrews. Harry Andrews played military parts so well.

Ought to add that I cycled 10 miles this afternoon.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 08:02 PM

It might help a bit unsure.
I'm one of those people who never gets muscly

I thought making the decking might get me looking fitter but even though it was quite heavy work and took a day or three ... nope.

Anyway, enough of my chat. This thread should be about proper exercise.
Apologies for diversion.
As Floydy will probably tell you Rachel, your body will take a few months before it starts to take on the shape of some female Adonis. That would amount to an awful lot of pruning. That's one of the reasons we use structured exercise to develop a shapely body. I hasten to add though, I do not run to keep fit or develop a Brad Pitt like body.......I run because I love it.....the rest has ocurred by accident.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
As Floydy will probably tell you Rachel, your body will take a few months before it starts to take on the shape of some female Adonis. That would amount to an awful lot of pruning. That's one of the reasons we use structured exercise to develop a shapely body. I hasten to add though, I do not run to keep fit or develop a Brad Pitt like body.......I run because I love it.....the rest has ocurred by accident.
This is very true. Bodybuilders, strength athletes and our own Olympic champions train for 4-8 hours a day to get themselves in ultimate shape, the diet playing as equal part in it. It doesn't happen overnight.

I train to keep myself fit, and when time permits. I'm not overly muscular, just enough to keep myself in reasonable shape and I do enjoy it and I prefer using weights these days, but each to their own. It's also nice to get some time away from daily life for an hour or so.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2016, 11:34 AM

A lot cooler on this mornings ten miler and the grass along the canal was soaking wet due to the heavy dew (see what I did there) but after a very enjoyable run it became even more enjoyable when I realised that I was only thirty seconds off my best time for that course.....Awe Fantastic!!!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2016, 12:07 PM

Running always looks incredibly enjoyable (if that's the right word !) but definitely not something I would try taking up.

As a child, I did the usual stuff ... ballet, tap, ice skating but last time I went skating my ankles SERIOUSLY hurt
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-09-2016, 09:06 PM

Running always looks incredibly enjoyable (if that's the right word !) but definitely not something I would try taking up.

As a child, I did the usual stuff ... ballet, tap, ice skating but last time I went skating my ankles SERIOUSLY hurt
It is Rachel, as long as you don't expect too much and just be satisfied with what you can do. There are the occasional toughies but bad pace judgement is probably responsible. I'm finding that running in my mid sixties is far more enjoyable than when I was competitive. I suppose there's no pressure now as I don't run any more events by special decree from my loved ones (after two heart attacks) they don't want to lose me.....Bless.

So I go out and smell the air and wonder at the beauty of nature and just think about stuff, and before I know it I've covered ten miles.....And because I always run on the same days, I always know what day it is....
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

11-09-2016, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It is Rachel, as long as you don't expect too much and just be satisfied with what you can do. There are the occasional toughies but bad pace judgement is probably responsible. I'm finding that running in my mid sixties is far more enjoyable than when I was competitive. I suppose there's no pressure now as I don't run any more events by special decree from my loved ones (after two heart attacks) they don't want to lose me.....Bless.

So I go out and smell the air and wonder at the beauty of nature and just think about stuff, and before I know it I've covered ten miles.....And because I always run on the same days, I always know what day it is....
You are to be admired and it sounds as if it's the way it should be. You have it sorted

The smells, the air quality, the beauty of the surroundings, even if it's a road with bushes and trees along the way, there will always be nature of some kind to appreciate.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-09-2016, 10:46 AM

After being shooed away from the 'PC Pendulum' thread I've come here, it's getting bloody over there......

So I jogged along without a care in the world this morning other than thinking 'how am I going to break it to my fellow travellers during my forthcoming holiday upon P&O's good ship Britannia that I intend to put in a six mile run every time we go ashore'...It's not going to go down too well, but needs must....

This mornings run was taken at a sensible pace, mist clung to the low lying fields and the sun was just breaking above the horizon. Baby rabbits scurried into the hedges as I ran by and squirrels darted up into the trees and all is well with the world......Now where did Mrs Fox put that list of jobs....

Page 35 of 370 « First < 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top