Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 03:24 PM

Airlines weighing people

I see on the news that the Actress Lisa Riley was mortified when asked to get on the scales by one airline when boarding a plane, do you think its a good idea ?.. or an intrusion on your privacy ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 03:28 PM

Re: Airlines weighing people

Hi

No, it is an essential safety precaution, planes have weight limits.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 03:28 PM

As a fatty I'd be embarrassed but thankful they took safety seriously.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 03:30 PM

I wouldn't mind being weighed but then I am not overweight or flying anywhere : .

In a time when a lot of the country is obese and there are overall weight restrictions on aircraft I guess it makes sense .
The fact that people will be weighed should be publicised though and the weighing done with a bit of tact.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 03:35 PM

I doubt its to do with safety.......holds are never full nor do aircraft fly anywhere near their laden weight limits as they never refuel to full, the load to distance.

Its all about money.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 03:46 PM

I wonder if it would lead to people slimming down before their holidays if we were charged for excess weight like we are for excess luggage!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I wonder if it would lead to people slimming down before their holidays if we were charged for excess weight like we are for excess luggage!
A few of my mates are fitness fanatics weighing in at about 17 stone, not an ounce of fat on them...I can't see it working.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 04:35 PM

Aircraft certainly do have weight limits, and weight distribution is also very important for flight safety, but another way would be to calculate fares on the width of passenger bottoms, if they take up more than one seat then they should charge for another one.... or two...
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

26-10-2016, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Aircraft certainly do have weight limits, and weight distribution is also very important for flight safety, but another way would be to calculate fares on the width of passenger bottoms, if they take up more than one seat then they should charge for another one.... or two...
But they never/rarely fly at Max payload.
Take Spain for instance, and say a 737 with 4000(?)mile range flying to Malaga(1500m?)
It'll be fueled for 1500m+ whatever ℅ safeguard.

These aircraft are way off Max load.

I agree with bum width surcharge
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2016, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I doubt its to do with safety.......holds are never full nor do aircraft fly anywhere near their laden weight limits as they never refuel to full, the load to distance.

Its all about money.
Yes of course it is to do with money . How would they detirmine if a passenger was overweight, and how much would they charge extra, would it be by the pound of weight lol , sounds a bit like the Merchant Of Venice and Shylock asking for his pound of flesh.

Can you imagine the backlog at security if they start weighing people , we would have to check in 10 hours before the flight

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top