Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 01:58 AM

I think Brexit's a real shame

Who agrees with me? What scares you the most?

A few things worry/sadden me.

- Eu consumer protection laws being lost
- - of products (from harmful materials being used to safety standards)
- - of food (from toxic fertilisers/additives/flavours etc)
- - of workers (influence on min wages etc)
- - of regeneration (the poorest areas receiving grants etc)
- - of accountability, etc etc

It's also sad that we are no longer part of something bigger. The world was meant to become smaller, with people more 'as one'. Instead we are being manipulated into becoming more segregated, 'divided and conquered'.

What are your fears and concerns?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 09:01 AM

Re: I think Brexit's a real shame

I'm worried for my kids, lots of our generation have enjoyed cheap travel, work opportunities etc. will this still be possible for them?
Will the European countries we get electricity from hit us with high prices?
Will our beaches get filthy again?
Will we lose some of our human rights laws?
Just a few of many worries...
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 11:05 AM

I completely agree Tess.

We had free movement within the EU, we could live, work anywhere and future generations won't have that. Europe is one of the most beautiful parts of the world, the history, architecture, culture. Such a shame.

Our Europeans neighbours also tend to be quite progressive. Being European was certainly something to feel proud of.

Will we lose some of our human rights laws?
I'm very concerned about the erosion of human rights as well.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 12:56 PM

I don't think many will post on here, it's a shame as it could be very therapeutic and it would give the Brexiteers a chance to stop and listen to the alternative point of view and vice versa. Perhaps we could understand each other better without the confrontation.
The other thing that has occurred is being told to post opinions on this thread if people don't want to hear them. That just shows how closed minded some are.
I still think that the Tories wanted complete control and have manipulated lots of aspects to ensure they get it. Sadly there's no proper opposition to stop them.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

24-02-2017, 02:57 PM

Give it time

Re being told to 'post here', just remind them they don't make the rules and if they have an issue with your posts to report them
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

24-02-2017, 04:17 PM

Ooo! I don't think I've ever been reported, I could get to like it!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-02-2017, 09:08 AM

...and another thing!
This, "No deal is better than a bad deal", that is worrying! The EU aren't going to give an inch, if they make things easy for us others may follow. I have the feeling we will be made an example of.

Cameron should have fought for a better deal when he tried, in fact we should have done that as soon as all the rules we didn't like were shown to us through the years.
As for immigration, the illegal ones will stay, because most are untraceable, the workers seem to think we don't want them and appear to have started to leave.

We appear to have a standoff regarding how we're going to deal with EU citizens living here, if we say they're not going to be affected then the EU could say we don't want British living here etc.
What will we do with all the expats if they come back? Their heating bills will be tremendous !
Sangria bars would do well, if they can get the staff!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-02-2017, 11:41 AM

...and we can't change our minds about this, we can't have another vote in a few years if things don't work out!
It has to be done carefully as it's forever.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-02-2017, 11:43 AM

I'm enjoying it in here!
Plenty of space, I think I'll put a sideboard over there and the TV over there....
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

26-02-2017, 03:31 PM

Very valid concerns Tess

Here's another, remember when May hinted they might make Britain a tax haven as some sort of gateway into Europe? Well, (and apart from it being bad for us) the EU could simply raise the import taxes from the UK to compensate - if they want to enter a tit for tat they could even raise them to cripple us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top