Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2018, 04:48 PM

At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

EU Brexit rebellion Already begins.
EU nations pressure Brussels to u-turn on punishing Britain.

Britain may be given access to the single market in a dramatic turnaround by Brussels because most European Union nations fear they would suffer if London was excluded post-Brexit.

A separate senior diplomat said: "Until a few months ago I would have said no, no way, but now things have changed.

Insiders say if Britain follows through with a so-called "pay for access" deal it would benefit all member countries - AS APPOSED TO JUST FRANKFURT AND PARIS.

The two European cities would lure business from Britain if London was excluded from the single market access.

Other European nations would suffer from punishing Britain.
But......they insist there is a reluctance among EU countries to introduce the ideal into official discussions without a first move from the UK Government.
Another diplomat said: "It's London that has to put it on paper".

A Government spokesman said: "It's good news that EU diplomats are thinking creatively about how we ensure the vital services sector is covered by our future trade deal.
"But inevitably, given the level of access that the EU requires to the City of London, an obvious downside would be that payments would have to flow both ways"

unquote

Well, there does seem to be some melting of strict resolve from some of the EU States. I bet this is not pleasing Merkel and Macron. But it is promising news, as long as the EU mandarins don't try asking for more extortionate pie-in-the-sky sums from us, and remembers that it works both ways.

Still, it's forwarding thinking at last. What do you think?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2018, 05:08 PM

Re: At last! Common Sense rearing it's Head.

Thinking about this, Doesn't the UK have a 60 to 100 Billion a year trading deficit within the EU? Maybe they should be paying us!!.
if the EU insist on making the UK pay for the privilege of entry to the single market, I wonder, will the City of London be sharing the proceeds, profits and bonuses with the UK taxpayer? just a thought.

I am sure I read a little while back that Switzerland are telling the EU to back off after being sold a pup over the access to the financial markets when it was limited only to 12 months. At the same time, the EU has given Hong Kong and Singapore unlimited access.
They are supposedly demanding a referendum to change it's "deal" with the EU as a result.

So all not as cosy in the cartel as they would have us believe.

Interesting times.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2018, 05:12 PM

Hi

This is the Swiss Model, pay in for access to the services market.

Many would not be happy with paying the EU Billions a year, even if we do make a profit on it.

Hong Kong and Singapore have Trade Agreements with the EU, they do not include Services.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2018, 05:49 PM

Wonderful idea, we will still have to keep to EU rules but with no input to say what the rules are.
Good thinking by all the highly intelligent people who have sold the country out.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 12:53 PM

The point is, Europe needs to make a deal (not give ultimatums) just as much as we do. They just haven't realised it yet.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 01:41 PM

More I hear more I think just leave and go to wto rules, much fear monger get around that but it could make foods etc from outside Europe far cheaper for us.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 01:55 PM

I said before that when the E U countries thought it was the right time they would relax the demands on the U K to leave. Now appears to be a good time. They have made their point to any other Countries with leaving in mind that it is not as easy as they might think.
Now the U k need to press ahead and stop dithering on the brink
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 01:59 PM

Dithering ? I think the eu is doing more of that than we are, they announce times ticking we need to get on but oh no we can't meet for next few weeks they can spare us an hour or two in March ! Either times now or it's not IMO
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 02:33 PM

Meanwhile crops will rot in our own fields with nobody to pick them....

http://en.brinkwire.com/138849/food-...ers-stay-home/
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

11-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Meanwhile crops will rot in our own fields with nobody to pick them....

http://en.brinkwire.com/138849/food-...ers-stay-home/
Yet they won't pay decent wages to get them picked who'd a thunk it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top