Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 07:27 PM

Re: The next round of negotiations.

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I don't live in cloud cuckoo land though.
I guess you didn't pass the immigration test!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I don't live in cloud cuckoo land though.
That's debatable.......
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

How can we possibly have a Prime Minister, a known Remainer, fighting on our behalf, when she won't even admit in public how she would vote if given the chance to do so again. She has a Cabinet full of remainers forever whispering and cajoling her for a soft Brexit. She had better watch her step now Jacob is in the frame. We were betrayed by Call Me Dave and his inability to fight for us It sadly feels very much like De Javu all over again. Her BS words of "It's the end game that counts" will no longer wash. She has to grow a pair and do the job or go! She is now on her final warning. Thank you Jacob Rees-Moss!
Seems the cabinet is as divided as the rest of the country. Although there were slightly more leave voters it wasn't much of a split (especially excluding those who live here or abroad long term but couldn't vote) so you have to agree that this was bound to happen.

This is dividing the country. I think rather than create obstacles, the divisions will lead to a solution that is acceptable to all. We will be forced to compromise and find a middle ground.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Seems the cabinet is as divided as the rest of the country. Although there were slightly more leave voters it wasn't much of a split (especially excluding those who live here or abroad long term but couldn't vote) so you have to agree that this was bound to happen.

This is dividing the country. I think rather than create obstacles, the divisions will lead to a solution that is acceptable to all. We will be forced to compromise and find a middle ground.
You Remainers can't lay claim to ex-pats' votes. That's a ridiculous claim and another salve for your battered Remainer psyche.

I'm afraid your wishful thinking that there is 'compromise' arrangement that will be acceptable to all is doomed to failure. That is one of the reasons we want to leave the EU......because of the blandness, disappointment and utter futility of constant compromise.

Sometimes, Annie, politics has to be polarised, it has to be brutal and there has to be winners or losers........

There is no middle ground with respect to Leaving the EU.

I worry that you are so institutionalized and mentally confined by years of EU membership that you have lost the ability to think clearly, rationally and expansively on this subject. You have certainly lost the ability to respect a democratic vote and the express will of a majority of the electorate.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
You Remainers can't lay claim to ex-pats' votes. That's a ridiculous claim and another salve for your battered Remainer psyche.

I'm afraid your wishful thinking that there is 'compromise' arrangement that will be acceptable to all is doomed to failure. That is one of the reasons we want to leave the EU......because of the blandness, disappointment and utter futility of constant compromise.

Sometimes, Annie, politics has to be polarised, it has to be brutal and there has to be winners or losers........

I worry that you are so institutionalized and mentally confined by years of EU membership that you have lost the ability to think clearly, rationally and expansively on this subject. You have certainly lost the ability to respect a democratic vote and the express will of a majority of the electorate.
Hi

Not targeted at me, but I will respond.

I voted Leave, I would still do so.

What I did not vote for is the idiotic way we are doing things.

Leaving would always hurt in the short term, I accepted that, worth it for the long term Benefits.

I did so with my eyes wide open.

What I cannot accept is the damage that our Politicians are doing to us because of their own personal ambitions.

They have delivered.

My area of expertise is Border Control and Immigration, my secondary area is Nuclear and Food.

Cameron had no Plan, the Civil Service had.

It has been totally ignored, and now it is panic stations.

We asked for £6 Billion to put everything in place, refused, we are now paying £40 Billion.

Work that one out.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Not targeted at me, but I will respond.

I voted Leave, I would still do so.

What I did not vote for is the idiotic way we are doing things.

Leaving would always hurt in the short term, I accepted that, worth it for the long term Benefits.

I did so with my eyes wide open.

What I cannot accept is the damage that our Politicians are doing to us because of their own personal ambitions.

They have delivered.

My area of expertise is Border Control and Immigration, my secondary area is Nuclear and Food.

Cameron had no Plan, the Civil Service had.

It has been totally ignored, and now it is panic stations.

We asked for £6 Billion to put everything in place, refused, we are now paying £40 Billion.

Work that one out.

All of the above is true.

I'm inclined to agree with you that here is no coherent strategy to these negotiations. I think they have been going on long enough to now make a judgement.....They are not going as we would like.

However.........

The politicians in Government are the only ones able to do the job at hand. THe politicians in opposition are tasked with supporting the peoples' decision to leave..

THey will be judged at the ballot box when the time comes whatever sort of Brexit is given to us!

Btw £40 billion is not going to bankrupt us!
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 10:12 PM

It took 4 years of negotiations to join and is going to take as long if not longer to leave unless the U K walks away with no deals , which I wonder might be a good idea, expensive and brave. The U k then fights its own corner on deals it would like without the constraint of clauses and other pointless stumbling blocks put in their way
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
It took 4 years of negotiations to join and is going to take as long if not longer to leave unless the U K walks away with no deals , which I wonder might be a good idea, expensive and brave. The U k then fights its own corner on deals it would like without the constraint of clauses and other pointless stumbling blocks put in their way
An awful lot of innocent people would lose their jobs and maybe their homes, wonderful idea but that is the Tory way.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 11:38 PM

I thought T M was trying to get deals? she is a Tory, but you may be right, I dont live there, but just see the E U as trying to make it as difficult as possible to try and prevent a complete destruction of itself. I feel that they will give way alot when they are sure that their message to other possible leavers has got through to them
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2018, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->

There are the voters and then there are the politicians tasked with implementing the malarkey.

The political process we have in the UK is tasked with implementing the leave vote as they see fit. They are the ones who need to come to a compromise. If they are polarised then the brexit process will be ripped apart. That's what we see happening thus far.

Polarisation in this situation will simply lead to inertia. Surely you can see that's already happening.

There's no guidance in how to implement such a change, there were no plans by Cameron.

The way I see it is that our parliament is always polarised on issues and then they discuss (sometimes like rabid animals) and then they come to a compromise. Or the House of Lords knocks their heads together It's a pretty good system if you think about it. Gets rid of a lot of rubbish along the way. As is proving to be the case with this process....

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top